Rat Headbadge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made another one today and even tried my hand at engraving since I found some vintage engraving tools at the flea market today. I guess I need more practice. :)
IMG_0733.jpg

Here's the skull and bones on the Raleigh Sports
IMG_0737.jpg

Hey Gerry,
For your first time, your engraving looks really good. Did you get hand tools or hammer and chisel too? I've engraved metal since '85 and learned in Italy. It's difficult to learn, but maybe you're a natural. 8) If you need any engraving help, PM me and I'm sure I can give you a few tips. Here's a Winchester M-71 receiver I engraved several years ago. It is still bare metal as the engraving was just finished at this point.
engpic6.jpg

I'm still waiting for that Iron Cross...I'm sure it's caught up in the Christmas rush. Regards, Gary B607

Wow, cool stuff Gary. All I have are some hand made chisels for now. I guess you're going to do some engraving on that cross when you get it? I'll be sure to hit you with some pointers. Thanks for the encouragement Randy. :)

They look great, you are doing a nice job. What is the material you are cutting the badges out of? And could we see a photo of your saw. It looks like fun.

Thanks, HB

B607 said:
It's a WW1 German Iron Cross. I thought about bending a real one and making it into a badge but the center is iron and it would break. . B607
ek241dols.jpg

I had an original WW1 Iron Cross on my MTB when I was about 12 years old (a multi-fluorescent-coloured 24" Redline, no less). I got my dad to make a mount for it and I thought it was the ducks guts. I didn't really appreciate the value/rareness of such a piece, so I unfortunately traded it for some footy cards or something to a fellow school mate. ...., if only I had a time machine...

Tuff idea though!

crackedpiston said:
B607 said:
It's a WW1 German Iron Cross. I thought about bending a real one and making it into a badge but the center is iron and it would break. . B607
ek241dols.jpg

I had an original WW1 Iron Cross on my MTB when I was about 12 years old (a multi-fluorescent-coloured 24" Redline, no less). I got my dad to make a mount for it and I thought it was the ducks guts. I didn't really appreciate the value/rareness of such a piece, so I unfortunately traded it for some footy cards or something to a fellow school mate. dang, if only I had a time machine...

Tuff idea though!

You can buy original Iron Crosses on ebay for pretty cheap. I usually get the WW1 crosses for $35-$50, depending on condition and maker mark. I think I paid $45 for the one above and it's a nice one. The WW2 Nazi crosses cost a lot more and aren't even real silver like the WW1 crosses. The WW2 crosses go for around $100 for a common maker, much more for some of the rare ones.

That Godzilla badge looks really good. Nice work. You should indeed try that method xd. B607

B607 said:
crackedpiston said:
B607 said:
ek241dols.jpg

I had an original WW1 Iron Cross on my MTB when I was about 12 years old (a multi-fluorescent-coloured 24" Redline, no less). I got my dad to make a mount for it and I thought it was the ducks guts. I didn't really appreciate the value/rareness of such a piece, so I unfortunately traded it for some footy cards or something to a fellow school mate. dang, if only I had a time machine...

Tuff idea though!

You can buy original Iron Crosses on ebay for pretty cheap. I usually get the WW1 crosses for $35-$50, depending on condition and maker mark. I think I paid $45 for the one above and it's a nice one. The WW2 Nazi crosses cost a lot more and aren't even real silver like the WW1 crosses. The WW2 crosses go for around $100 for a common maker, much more for some of the rare ones.

Awesome, I'll check it out, cheers!

Here's the Skull badge bent into shape on the (temporarily) headtube of the 1958 Raleigh.

IMG_0758.jpg

And here's the latest design available for the fans of winged vigilantes. Take note that this one is a bit hard to hammer into a bend for the tube.

IMG_0766.jpg

Back