Rat Poison chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
using the forks off one of the bikes to get around the wheel

Trying to line everything up

First time on the ground

More lining up and head scratching

Using the other forks for the top of the rear end.

Another mock-up on the floor

Top tube

Severely modified hub

So as you can see I've extended the part where the sprocket was normally seated, added some tube, the piece from another rear hub and also extended the axle.
Everything comes apart as a normal hub would.

Still a few adjustments to be made before it spins smoothly.
And more welding....

Didn't get anythin done here on the weekend but am back in to it now setting up the chain and sprockets.
A bit of stuffing around as I've swapped the chain from the right to the left hand side and also need to weld the new sprocket on to the old one on the crank etc.

Just want the chainsetup to be DONE so I can get on with the fun stuff like forks and handlebars...

But no point rushing things.
All in good time.

:)

Well I've done as much bench testing as I can of the driveline for now.
Picked up som tubing for the forks.
Not sure if it's really what I want but will have a go.

The forks will be about 1700mm from top of tube to wheel centre, or thereabouts, maybe, I think, who knows....
:crazy2:

Trying to figure out how to do the triple tree........

:cool2:

So the forks are welded to the lower plate of the tree, and I welded a nut to a washer at the top of the fork tubes with a bolt through the top plate.

The top plate has the riser (? fill me in on the correct lingo as we go along) welded to it and I'm using the original expander wedge.

I'll weld a short piece of tube on top of the top plate, same diameter as the forks, with the bolt inside it, still accessible, and attach bars which fit inside the short tubes, with grub screws or bolt straight through.
That way it all comes apart should there be a need to.
And it will look like the forks go all the way through

I'm thinking some more bracing around the crank tube might be needed....

If anyone can see anything wrong with what I'm doing here please let me know as this is my first long chopper build.
I'm only going by what looks good and whatever I can find online.

Cheers.

:)

Should get the front wheel on today.
Need to swap the axle to make up for the wider forks first.
The rear one off the same bike the front wheel came off is long enough.
Pulling it all apart now.

I love how there's always hair wrapped around the axles on old bikes...

Yuk

:eek:

with those forrks being that long steering will be a pain to stay straight & that rake is too extreme
what is it like for seat & handle bar reach ?

with those forrks being that long steering will be a pain to stay straight & that rake is too extreme

It's meant to be extreme. :rockout::rockout::rockout:

It's more to show off than to be ridden. :bigboss:

I'm thinking of modifying a couple of bikes (nowhere near as extreme as this) and sell along with other stuff I make, at the local markets, and this will be a good showpiece and attention grabber.
:D

what is it like for seat & handle bar reach ?

It's a bit of a stretch....

:blush:

Latest posts

Back