Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #17: Let's Go!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And then…. The cat dragged this in for some inspiration.
F02E2FCB-8A63-4E17-A1C2-3D66320860F7.jpeg

And then…. The cat dragged this in for some inspiration. View attachment 191183
Yamaha!
That's the same frame that I chose for my first build off. Unfortunately I ran out of time and motivation on mine and used the one swap rule in the last month. Looking forward to this one!

It was for some other Jake. I tried to force it to page Dr Sensei, but my batphone is outta order

Yamaha!
That's the same frame that I chose for my first build off. Unfortunately I ran out of time and motivation on mine and used the one swap rule in the last month. Looking forward to this one!
I have been contemplating a build like this. Ran across this when looking for a complete one for a friend. it has been poorly repaired according to photos. I’m thinking a nice stretch out front, Ness, Perewitz 70s digger style.
684EA474-30D2-4671-B70D-DC0664607D25.jpeg

While you're rethinking the dimensions, remember that it is a 20" bike. Maybe you can make it bigger all the way around while you're at it! I was trying to do that with mine but was limited to the no cutting or welding rule at the time.

Wow, it's that time of year already!!! I'll be joining at least a month later though. Tomorrow is my Silver Anniversary with Queenfish and we will be celebrating with a trip to Italy during the month of May. I guess, I've been in the RRBBOs for almost half my married life, since this will be my 12th RRBBO.

I'm still not sure what my build will be. I may use the Uncle Stretch frame that I scored, but there are a few other builds swimming around in my head too.

Last year, we had great participation from outside the US. I hope that happens again this year.
Congrats on the 25th!

Welcome to the 17th annual RRB Build Off! It's hard to believe that the build off has spanned three decades and dozens of participants along the way! Every year around this time, as the seasons change, many of us get 'bike build fever' and can't wait till the start of the annual RRB Build Off.

This year we plan to maintain the same two class structure, with Class I being pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Class II is open ended, with as much modding as you wish or starting from scratch with raw materials. At RRB we try to maintain an open mind when it comes to the 'definition' of a rat rod bike. Some RaTs are shiny, some are rough. Some are natty RaTs, some are ratty RaTs. In the end, you must have a rolling, ride able, finished product. After all, bikes are built to be ridden!

The Build Off #17 will begin at 12 am North American Central Time on May 1st, 2022 and will go till 12 noon on September 6, 2022. May Day through Labor Day!

In the meantime, let's get the party started! Who's new on the guest list to this bike building party? What ideas and concepts do you have swimming around in that rat rod bike brain of yours? Let's hear em'!

And as always,

RaT oN~!

OddJob
RRB BO #17 Moderator
Gonna catch grief for this question, but where is the thread to throw my name in the RRBBO 17 for class 2 or am I in the thread… still a newbie on this site since joining in may 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
The build off doesn't start until May 1st. The build journal forum location will be open at that time.

Gonna catch grief for this question, but where is the thread to throw my name in the RRBBO 17 for class 2 or am I in the thread… still a newbie on this site since joining in may 2020
Hi Keith, there will be a new thread up on May 1 that will have a listing for each class, I and II. It will appear at the top of the Forums as a part of the RRB BO # 17.

Last year, we had great participation from outside the US. I hope that happens again this year.
I don't know about the others, but the Berlin campground will be in again this year, although only for a short period on the campground, as we have planned a few trips within Germany for this summer.
But as I plan to stay small this year with a bike for the kid, I might convert the balcony to my workshop. We will see...

Many different builds in my head, but I still think I will end up building the Uncle Stretch frame that I scored.
Played around making a couple of "BIKE FROM U.N.C.L.E." graphics today. :D

1651204631168.png
1651204791414.png

Will there be hidden gadgets as in a spy car?

Naw, I don't like getting too locked into a "theme build". It's just a silly play on U.N.C.L.E. Stretch.
With that being said, you never know what kinda doodaddery or geegaw I might throw on a build. :D

Will the bike be a quick take down and reassembled into a rifle?
The Old Gun In The Bike Trick...

For all you Get Smart lovers, here is the list of our favorite "Tricks" (which by the way, is all of them)​
The old picture-in-the-keyhole trick
The old spy-in-the-dog-suit trick
The old finger-in-the-gun trick
The old time-bomb-in-the-roll trick
The old shoe switch
The old gun-in-the-peg-leg trick
The old gun-in-the-rabbit trick
The old lighter-in-the-gun-in-the-rabbit trick
The old secret-panel-in-the-bookcase trick
The old false-neck trick
The old gas-bomb-in-the-horoscope trick
The old gun-in-the-hand trick
The old pistol-in-the-hammer trick
The old bomb-in-the-snack-truck trick
The old gas-mask-in-the-false-nose trick
The old beeping-button trick
The old backdoor-to-the-alley trick
The old gun-in-the-crutch trick
The old double-agent-with-two-faces-in-the-twin-locker trick
The old gun-in-the-camera trick
The old Wilbur-in-the-drape trick
The old hideout-under-the-car-wash trick
The old tinh-tape-recorder-in-the-trailer trick
The old gun-in-the-flashlight trick
The old microphone-in-the-squeegee trick
The old bug-in-the-rug trick
The old three-way-gun trick
The old Kaos-killers-dressed-up-like-cops-in-order-to-follow-Control-agents-and- old-army-buddy trick
The old Pusa-pat-a-cake trick
The old gun-in-the-maestro's-baton trick
The old Maxwell-Smart-silhouette-on-the-window-shade trick
The old false-hands-in-the-chain trick
The old hacksaw-in-the-belt-buckle trick
The old bulletproof-cummerbund-in-the-tuxedo trick
The old inflatable-head-in-the-cloak trick
The old remote-control-self-propelled-spinning-doorknob trick
The old long-playing-high-frequency-ultrasonic-stereophonic-strike- the-match-against-the-sounding-board trick
The old sleeping-foot-powder-in-the-shoe trick
The old communications-equipment-in-the-French-bread trick
The old Chief-in-the-brown-beard-and-wig trick
The old poison-needle-on-the-phonograph trick
The old double-door-deception trick
The old airplane-in-the-haystack trick
The old flat-iron-in-the-hot-coals trick
The old drug-his-prunes, fake-the-fight, ransack-the-apartment, and switch-places-with-the-Admiral trick
The old mortar-in-the-rock-on-the-fourteenth-hold trick
The old sever-the-cord-of-the-lamp trick
The old check-the-baggage, take-out-the-insurance, page-him-to-the-phone, spin-the-booth trick
The old fake-fingertips-on-the-fireplace trick
The old pestle-and-the-mortar trick
The old bomb-in-the-bonbon-box trick
The old bug-in-the-towel trick
The old Professor-Peter-Peckinpah-all-purpose-anti-personnel-Peckinpah- pocket-pistol-under-the-toupee trick

I remember having these Agent Zero M toys as a kid. But no need to lower the cone of silence. My build won't be a secret agent build, even though it does bring up some cool ideas.

Latest posts

Back