Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #17: Let's Go!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, it does seem that way! I guess you know me better than I know myself.

Is there a 12 step program for build-offs anonymous?:21:

Yes, as a matter of fact, there is!!

Step 1. Participate in BO17.

You will get Step 2 upon completion of Step 1. :)

31 builds so far!!!

1651521469667.png

Someone brought up that my Uncle Stretch frame wasn't a factory frame as stated in the Class 1 rules. It honestly never crossed my mind that there might be a problem using this frame in Class 1, since I was pretty sure that we have had homemade frames allowed in this class for a number of years. These were where the entrant had bought a homemade frame and didn't make the frame themselves.

1651521821262.png
1651522138788.png

The frame I have was built by Uncle Stretch (RRB founder Steve's Uncle) right here on RRB back in 2008. It was made to look like a stretch version of a 1930s Colson. I would like to use this frame in BO17 Class 1 if that is okay with everyone.

20220218_122205.jpg

If not, I guess I could always switch to this factory Ruff frame or factory TSP frame, but I would rather bring back a piece of RRB history.

1651522608381.png
1651522775946.png

Someone brought up that my Uncle Stretch frame wasn't a factory frame as stated in the Class 1 rules. It honestly never crossed my mind that there might be a problem using this frame in Class 1, since I was pretty sure that we have had homemade frames allowed in this class for a number of years. These were where the entrant had bought a homemade frame and didn't make the frame themselves.

View attachment 191835 View attachment 191836

The frame I have was built by Uncle Stretch (RRB founder Steve's Uncle) right here on RRB back in 2008. It was made to look like a stretch version of a 1930s Colson. I would like to use this frame in BO17 Class 1 if that is okay with everyone.

View attachment 191839

If not, I guess I could always switch to this factory Ruff frame or factory TSP frame, but I would rather bring back a piece of RRB history.

View attachment 191840View attachment 191842
As I stated in your thread before: Prefabbed (especially by a seasoned builder) and bought as is counts for me as equal to factory built. So: Go for it!

Why not just move to class 2 and build what you started with? Easy peasy and it avoids any rule tweaking.

Class one states that it is for factory made frames so it really needs to be in 2 (in my opinion). I hope you don't switch frames, that's a cool one for sure!

Last edited:
Why not just move to class 2 and build what you started with? Easy peasy and it avoids any rule tweaking.

Class one states that it is for factory made frames so it really needs to be in 2 (in my opinion). I hope you don't switch frames, that's a cool one for sure!

No, that just doesn't work for me. I want to keep my continuous run in the traditional class. I just don't look at this frame any differently than if I scored a true 1930s Colson. It just has a cooler pedigree. It just seems strange to me that a frame that looks as traditional as Uncle's frame would cause a stink, yet the extreme Ruff Streamliner frame would be perfectly fine. Only because it was made with about 400 others in a large shop in Germany, instead of being 1 of 3 made in a small shop in Texas.
But if that is the case, I have other options swimming around in my head and a month before I'll be able to do anything.

You could build the oldster frame in class 1 and the strech in class 2. The more the better :p

:21: That just seems exactly backwards to me. Build a non-traditional style frame in the traditional class and a traditional style frame in the non-traditional class :21: . I'll be lucky to find the time to complete one build :D

I think it’s all really confusing and you should avoid the stress, do the simple thing and send it to me, and I’ll play with it while I try and think of an answer to the question.

We can meet halfway on I-95 :D :D

No, that just doesn't work for me. I want to keep my continuous run in the traditional class. I just don't look at this frame any differently than if I scored a true 1930s Colson. It just has a cooler pedigree. It just seems strange to me that a frame that looks as traditional as Uncle's frame would cause a stink, yet the extreme Ruff Streamliner frame would be perfectly fine. Only because it was made with about 400 others in a large shop in Germany, instead of being 1 of 3 made in a small shop in Texas.
But if that is the case, I have other options swimming around in my head and a month before I'll be able to do anything.
I don't see what the big deal is. The definition for what someone considers a "factory" is pretty arbitrary

How many need to be produced to quantify the argument?

Would a Cook Bros be considered factory? Are Atomic Cycles considered factory?

My vote is build it

I have bent or tried to bend every rule here and I think that technically it is a small batch frame for sure. But with some of the stuff we've allowed to go thru in the past and the fact that we usually try to be ALL INCLUSIVE, it's not like you're trying to sneak it in. Build it and if ya win all the kudos have to go to Uncle Stretch.

Carl. < small batch bean gas factory

Sorry, no. The bullmoose says TAIWAN 21 n/m Cr-MoHI MAX⬆️HT. Probably the coolest bullmoose bar I've seen.....View attachment 190023View attachment 190022View attachment 190021View attachment 190020View attachment 190024View attachment 190025View attachment 190019View attachment 190018

On a mock up I did with a Schwinn frame. The interesting bend makes them incredibly comfortable as well.😉

Come on down & build away Brother!! :rockout:I could stand to have about 30-40 bikes go away to give me some elbow room to build more stuff.:blush:
This is awesome.
my kind of bike.
if you ever tire of those bars I would be happy to Give them a new home.

So, my opening thread at the beginning of the RRB BO 17 Discussion thread, said absolutely nothing about starting with a 'factory built' frame. I stated the rules for Class 1 to be as follows: "This year we plan to maintain the same two class structure, with Class I being pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Nowhere in that statement does it say 'must be factory built'.

After being influenced to post a separate Rules for the Build Off in another thread once the Build Off officially started, I do see a statement that was carried through from what was possibly the original version of what Steve wrote up very near the beginning of the build off competitions, 17 Build Offs ago, as we now know them. But if we are using history as our guide, there once was only a single class as well, with all builds lumped into that group. And, even as recently as I have joined this forum, a mere 8 years ago, we used to have a 'vote for only 3' during the final voting at the end of the Build Off.

We are a group in flux, hopefully in motion, with ebbs and flows. Every year we add new builders to the corps, and are surprised with new techniques, new ideas, new creative ways to solve problems. That is the 'core' of our corps; our community. We don't each build a single bike, we build many bikes for a single purpose; to join in the camaraderie of like minded people who love vintage custom rat rod bikes, and have fun building them!

If I have any authority, which I have been given by our current administration of this site, over the RatRodBikes Build Off 17; then I say, as long as @kingfish254 (or anyone else) doesn't make any structural modifications, i.e. cutting / welding, to his original starting frame; then he can use the Uncle Stretch frame in Class 1.

So, my opening thread at the beginning of the RRB BO 17 Discussion thread, said absolutely nothing about starting with a 'factory built' frame. I stated the rules for Class 1 to be as follows: "This year we plan to maintain the same two class structure, with Class I being pretty much bolt-on, mix n' match parts, with no structural modification, i.e. cutting / welding, to the original starting frame. Nowhere in that statement does it say 'must be factory built'.

After being influenced to post a separate Rules for the Build Off in another thread once the Build Off officially started, I do see a statement that was carried through from what was possibly the original version of what Steve wrote up very near the beginning of the build off competitions, 17 Build Offs ago, as we now know them. But if we are using history as our guide, there once was only a single class as well, with all builds lumped into that group. And, even as recently as I have joined this forum, a mere 8 years ago, we used to have a 'vote for only 3' during the final voting at the end of the Build Off.

We are a group in flux, hopefully in motion, with ebbs and flows. Every year we add new builders to the corps, and are surprised with new techniques, new ideas, new creative ways to solve problems. That is the 'core' of our corps; our community. We don't each build a single bike, we build many bikes for a single purpose; to join in the camaraderie of like minded people who love vintage custom rat rod bikes, and have fun building them!

If I have any authority, which I have been given by our current administration of this site, over the RatRodBikes Build Off 17; then I say, as long as @kingfish254 (or anyone else) doesn't make any structural modifications, i.e. cutting / welding, to his original starting frame; then he can use the Uncle Stretch frame in Class 1.
Amen! And now GTB!

Well I probably won’t have to worry about anybody drooling over the exotic antique parts on my bicycle, because it’s likely not going to have any.

If there’s anything special on it, it will be special because I’ve built it.

I don’t have enough mojo on this forum to give you guys advice about how to run a contest.

But, after my experience running contests on a motorcycle forum, and dealing with the problems inherent, I wish you all the best of luck.

I’m gonna give you my opinion anyway.

Class one should require factory homologation. Class two should be any limited production, radical custom, or scratch built.

If you’re going to allow expensive limited production chassis in the “budget” class, it will cause hard feelings in the end.

How would the class one guys feel if I handed Chip Foose $20k, had him build me a frame from scratch, and then entered it here under class one as my work, because I painted it and screwed on some parts?

My job slurped all of the joy and motivation out of my last couple of builds. That won't be a problem real soon because I'm retiring in July. Therefore......... I will dig out the crates of builds gone stagnant this weekend and see what I will toss into the ring. I might dig out the Hornswaggler I began last year (that never made it past mock up) and toss some more junk at it. I've got a few others that might make the cut as well. I should be all officially entered next week.

Now I have to find where I put the frame I'm going to be using, glad that there's a few months to build even though my build isn't going to be complicated I have a good few builds to do, I'm going to roll with my homie in wheels to build/rebuild/restore in the style of modern retro or neo classic old frame/new parts 90s road/mtb bikes mostly for fun and make a small bit of profit, on with the build, let's hope there's a decent amount of entries AND voters, good luck everyone, I already see half a dozen of my favourite builders have entered

Latest posts

Back