UNLIMITED Ratneck Rampage [pg9: working on details]

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So cool!😎 Chain tension looks great. Just give it some good hard pulls and readjust as needed. Should be good to go.

Kitchen fork works awesome for picking up the little bearings. Cap on bb finishes it off nicely.
Thanks, I painted the cap matte black now.
Caviar....you're killin' me Smalls. :rofl:

That headlight looks just right. Bike turned out awesome!!
Dude! Nice build!
Thanks guys! You too OJ!

Since I'm already in the 'classic ratrod' zone here, I might just take it a step further.

I found some black/white checkered BMX grips that I like and:

I'm not sure yet, but considering buying a few Rat Fink decals OR some more chevrons to go on the following location:

Feel free to criticize!

1000029553.jpg

1000029555.jpg

1000029556.jpg

1000029557.jpg

1000029558.jpg

I can't help but deeply enjoy the Ed Roth art. I love the idea that it adds colour to the bicycle.
Are there 'ethics' involved with these big names? Like, Rat Fink is only for this or that? Asking for a friend :wink1:

I did not engage with Rat Fink back in my 'Volkswagen Bug' days since it was quite mainstream and common. Yet I never stopped enjoying the art.
The same with Von Dutch, mr Horsepower (Clay Smith), Mooneyes and many more.

I think your build is very conducive to Rat Fink culture! It bends the idea of a traditional bicycle, it has a strong element of 'fun' blended in, and when people stop and stare at the bike; this would give them some more detail to examine.

If you go with these particular stickers, trim as much of the white background as possible, otherwise they may look like 'spots' or globs from a distance.

The red / black / white colors of your hot rod - rat rod are perfect for the Big Daddy Roth look. The Weird-oHs art and resulting models developed by Bill Campbell in the early '60s were a favorite of mine, and might be a good resource for some additional ideas for doo-dads , etc.

RaT oN~!

Rat Fink made it on to RaTs GaSs a few years back.

rats gass.jpg

The Hawk Model Co. produced the Weird-oHs models starting in 1963.

weird ohs.jpg

Thanks guys! You too OJ!

Since I'm already in the 'classic ratrod' zone here, I might just take it a step further.

I'm not sure yet, but considering buying a few Rat Fink decals OR some more chevrons to go on the following location:

Feel free to criticize!

View attachment 271211
View attachment 271212
View attachment 271213
View attachment 271214
View attachment 271215

I can't help but deeply enjoy the Ed Roth art. I love the idea that it adds colour to the bicycle.
Are there 'ethics' involved with these big names? Like, Rat Fink is only for this or that? Asking for a friend :wink1:

I did not engage with Rat Fink back in my 'Volkswagen Bug' days since it was quite mainstream and common. Yet I never stopped enjoying the art.

Any or all of those classics would work well with your build. It's perfectly fine to mix and match the various bits and pieces of Kustom Kulture. Just pic what speaks to you and your build. A Flying Eyeball would be cool.
You can also get cool inspiration from the OddRod bubble gum trading cards from the 70s. They had very cool hot rod monsters.

Thanks guys! You too OJ!

Feel free to criticize!

View attachment 271211
View attachment 271212
View attachment 271213
View attachment 271214
View attachment 271215

Any or all of those classics would work well with your build. It's perfectly fine to mix and match the various bits and pieces of Kustom Kulture. Just pic what speaks to you and your build. A Flying Eyeball would be cool.
You can also get cool inspiration from the OddRod bubble gum trading cards from the 70s. They had very cool hot rod monsters.

Eyeball decal HERE

Like this in red would be cool

Thanks guys! You too OJ!

Feel free to criticize!

View attachment 271211
View attachment 271212
View attachment 271213
View attachment 271214
View attachment 271215

Dirty Donny is a contemporary artist that emulates those styles, as well, if you want to explore some other graphics.

https://dirtydonny.com/

You could always make your own like this fool.

1719614029342.png

Last edited:
I think your build is very conducive to Rat Fink culture! It bends the idea of a traditional bicycle, it has a strong element of 'fun' blended in, and when people stop and stare at the bike; this would give them some more detail to examine.

If you go with these particular stickers, trim as much of the white background as possible, otherwise they may look like 'spots' or globs from a distance.

The red / black / white colors of your hot rod - rat rod are perfect for the Big Daddy Roth look. The Weird-oHs art and resulting models developed by Bill Campbell in the early '60s were a favorite of mine, and might be a good resource for some additional ideas for doo-dads , etc.

RaT oN~!

Rat Fink made it on to RaTs GaSs a few years back.

View attachment 271216

The Hawk Model Co. produced the Weird-oHs models starting in 1963.

View attachment 271217
I remember rats gass, awesome build that was! And I'm gonna read about the weird-oh's, I was unfarmiliar with them.
Thanks also for that tip, sometimes I do like a big white rim around a sticker or picture.
I might just paint a part of that whole background white before stickering.

Flying eyeball is awesome too! Saw them as shifter knobs on cars and bikes a while ago.

Eyeball decal HERE

Like this in red would be cool
Very cool!

Dirty Donny is a contemporary artist that emulates those styles, as well, if you want to explore some other graphics.

https://dirtydonny.com/
I took a quick look, very nice! Will check that out soon for inspiration too! Thank you.

You could always make you own like this fool.

View attachment 271284
:21: Eye see you, you can pull it off, especially with that awesome bike!

Many inspiration and much to learn explore!

These are the stickers I am willing to use right now. Some came from @Chuy from the previous swbo.

1000029639.jpg

And yesterday we went for a ride to the farm. Going there and back is about 10 kilometres.
My wife and the kids were riding the electric cargobike.
Its easy to keep the Ratneck at 26 kilometres/hr. Rides very quiet and smooth now. Very, very happy!

1000029586.jpg

1000029584.jpg

1000029589.jpg

This bike is a chick magnet, I tell ya 🔥:bigsmile:

Just some more ideas and tryouts:

1000029640.jpg

1000029641.jpg

1000029642.jpg

1000029643.jpg

1000029644.jpg

1000029645.jpg

1000029646.jpg

Last picture: Colour/lining ideas.

Looking at these photos, I think @OddJob Is right, the white rims around the stickers with the black background does not work perfectly in my opinion. A blob indeed.

I think that:

-A lot of decals (stickerbomb?) in that area will work.

-Or a painted background with one or two decals.

-Or some ratrod lines/chevrons with one or two decals.

I'm leaning to paint a few neat lines/narrow triangles there, the work 'with' the decals shape.

I like the idea of a background to set off the 'finks'. I always like things in odd numbers, so if you can get 3 on each side of the panel that might be cool. OR....two fink stickers and a word, if you can use the 'Swung Note' font or 'Ravie' font, very much like the Weird-oHs and Rat Fink style for the lettering and then stencil it on in paint. I'm just brainstorming, but here is a little mock-up I did in my primitive Paint program just now.

BRE fink idea.jpg

EDIT: As I look at it now, I'd probably do the RACE? in larger font and place it between the two finks. So it would span the white background somewhere near the middle of the field.

I like the idea of a background to set off the 'finks'. I always like things in odd numbers, so if you can get 3 on each side of the panel that might be cool. OR....two fink stickers and a word, if you can use the 'Swung Note' font or 'Ravie' font, very much like the Weird-oHs and Rat Fink style for the lettering and then stencil it on in paint. I'm just brainstorming, but here is a little mock-up I did in my primitive Paint program just now.

View attachment 271367

EDIT: As I look at it now, I'd probably do the RACE? in larger font and place it between the two finks. So it would span the white background somewhere near the middle of the field.
That looks great! Thank you for your effort Oddjob. I'm convinced now :thumbsup:

I already painted a piece of junk ral9003 to test it, how it looks against the stickers.

I have more ideas, but for another time and bike build:
1000029675.jpg

Credits: Sardinia hot bikes.

Attachments

• 1000029675.jpg
    1000029675.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 0
Some came from @Chuy from the previous swbo.
That Von Dutch one is pretty cool. Dutchie, aka J L Bachs (Joe Lunch Box) aka Kenny Howard, is often overlooked in the rat history, the guy literally invented custom pinstriping. The flying eyeball was his design too.

images (1).jpeg
images (2).jpeg
images.jpeg

Last edited:
images (3).jpeg

"I make a point of staying right at the edge of poverty. I don't have a pair of pants without a hole in them, and the only pair of boots I have are on my feet. I don't mess around with unnecessary stuff, so I don't need much money. I believe it's meant to be that way. There's a 'struggle' you have to go through, and if you make a lot of money it doesn't make the 'struggle' go away. It just makes it more complicated. If you keep poor, the struggle is simple. "

http://www.letterville.com/articles/bob_burns/vondutch/

I like this idea. OJ's full of it. Great ideas that is.
1719667464527.png

That Von Dutch one is pretty cool. Dutchie, aka J L Bachs (Joe Lunch Box) aka Kenny Howard, is often overlooked in the rat history, the guy literally invented pinstriping. The flying eyeball was his design too.

View attachment 271376View attachment 271375View attachment 271377

Von Dutch is a legend in the vintage hot rodding community. He was a one of a kind, great counter culture artist. I don't know how he would feel about his stuff being collectible now. Some Von Dutch style striping would look great on this bike!

Seems like the stickers with writing might be better more level? Might be worth trying? One of those might look cool on that bottom tube as well.

Bike looks killer! Really nice build. So wild yet very finished and clean. Great job.

Latest posts

Back