Ratty Schwinn Varsity - ID the seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Picked up this Schwinn Varsity today...need both hands to turn the bars.

varsity.jpg

Don't know if it's standard or not, but I thought the front hub looked kinda cool:

varsityhub.jpg

Can anyone tell what kind of seat this is? The clamp says Mesinger, but I don't think it is the original seat. In the embossing I can make out "Made in France", "39", and a name that looks to be N-U-?-E-N...anyone familiar with it?

varsityseat1.jpg

varsityseat2.jpg

varsityseat3.jpg

Great find. That looks like a 65-66 Varsity. In coppertone to boot. Front hub looks original. The illustrations show a leather saddle like that one. Any 1960's 10 speed is cool. From the trfindley webpage:

xf1c75.jpg

From what I've been able to gather, the bike appears to be a 1966, and the seat is a Norex 39, which appears to be styled after the Ideale 39 and was sometimes found on older Peugot bikes. I didn't realize it was that old.

And you have the fender equipped model also. I'd try to find a front fender and keep it stock. Check the serial number on the left dropout, it should start with 2 letters, then 5 numbers follow. The first letter is month, second letter is the year, beginning in 65. AA is Jan 65, AB Jan 66 and so forth.

On the seat, I think it is a replacement, the mounting hardware should hang down from the rails, not upward. That is "uncomfortable" the way it is.

Latest posts

Back