RE-Named '65 Franken-Schpringer...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got this I think it was made 02/08/1965 not sure what model this called

031.jpg

043-1.jpg

Re: 1965 Schwinn w/Springer fork

Sweet! I love that color, and the matching springer really makes this an awesome find.

Sweet find, is it just me or is that top tube a lot straighter than any others of this style that I've seen?

Heck I dont know, Is there a name for this model or style
outskirtscustoms said:
Sweet find, is it just me or is that top tube a lot straighter than any others of this style that I've seen?
035.jpg

you could get an american in 65 with a springer fork, but that chainguard looks like an older style guard and it looks like the rear fender was radiant blue at some point (a color the american didnt come in for 65). id say it might be a little bit of a frankenbike. plus the square bolts were usually an older thing too in my opinion. still a nice find :mrgreen:

Thanks for the help I read the date code as BA19726 maybe I got it wrong
CCR said:
you could get an american in 65 with a springer fork, but that chainguard looks like an older style guard and it looks like the rear fender was radiant blue at some point (a color the american didnt come in for 65). id say it might be a little bit of a frankenbike. plus the square bolts were usually an older thing too in my opinion. still a nice find :mrgreen:
032.jpg

Well looking through the catalogs myself I've got the frame narrowed down to:
American
Corvette
Corvette 2
Fleet with missing tank
Heavy duty
Hornet
Jaguar with missing tank
Tiger
Typhoon
Typhoon Deluxe
Wasp
or
Wasp Heavy Duty

and that's just from '64-'65. Since it is an early '65. Why did Schwinn have so many names for the same frame?

And now-days EVERY bike company copies that frame. The Huffy Cranbrook, Santa Fe, Santa Fe 2, Good Vibrations, Bay-side, Bay Pointe, Panama Jack, Surf-side, Murry Westport............The list goes on for miles.

Looking @ online catalogs only added to my frustration. I was just curious. It really dont matter because I love havin it no matter what model it is. I just want to get it mechanically sound so I can ride it. Thanks for your help w/this :D
outskirtscustoms said:
Well looking through the catalogs myself I've got the frame narrowed down to:
American
Corvette
Corvette 2
Fleet with missing tank
Heavy duty
Hornet
Jaguar with missing tank
Tiger
Typhoon
Typhoon Deluxe
Wasp
or
Wasp Heavy Duty

and that's just from '64-'65. Since it is an early '65. Why did Schwinn have so many names for the same frame?

And now-days EVERY bike company copies that frame. The Huffy Cranbrook, Santa Fe, Santa Fe 2, Good Vibrations, Bay-side, Bay Pointe, Panama Jack, Surf-side, Murry Westport............The list goes on for miles.

No problem, I always say it doesn't matter what it was it's what you make of it. I wonder why Schwinn and other bike companies don't just stamp the model or at least a letter indicating the model in it.

Yeah they do a date code which is better than nuthin. Not designating a model gives them flexability to use 1 platform for mutiple models.
outskirtscustoms said:
No problem, I always say it doesn't matter what it was it's what you make of it. I wonder why Schwinn and other bike companies don't just stamp the model or at least a letter indicating the model in it.

i guess it was just reflecting blue then :lol:

they pretty much just made a couple frames,

coaster models and rim brake models
the rim brake models had a mount for caliper brakes and a brake mount hole on the forks (springers excluded), coaster frames didnt have the brake mounts

the middleweight tank models would have the tank hangers added on to the frame (fleet, american deluxe, panther, jaguar)

different models were equipped with different stuff, blackwalls vs whitewalls, painted wheels vs chrome wheels, painted fenders vs chrome fenders, racks, lights, tanks, seat rails, color matched grips. the easiest way to id is to find out what the guard says on it (if its still there) or if it had a model specific decal on it. otherwise its just a best guess sorta thing.

parts get swapped around a lot on these old bikes as things got worn out and banged up. :mrgreen:

mschwartz815 said:
Yeah they do a date code which is better than nuthin. Not designating a model gives them flexability to use 1 platform for mutiple models.
outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah but how hard would it be just to change a letter on the serial number punch, they have to do it for each frame anyway. just add a corresponding letter.

Yeah it would be nice but I think the bikes identity goes bye-bye with the original chainguard. I went back out and looked a little closer @ the top tube, There is a Schwinn decal that has been over painted and some black paint where the blue has flaked off. The added decal is futher forward than the old one. quote="outskirtscustoms"]
mschwartz815 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
Yeah but how hard would it be just to change a letter on the serial number punch, they have to do it for each frame anyway. just add a corresponding letter.[/quote]

I went back out and looked a little closer @ the top tube, There is a Schwinn decal that has been over painted and some black paint where the blue has flaked off. The added decal is futher forward than the old one.
It's an A15 American if you find the fork paint matches the black on the frame. Otherwise it'd be a Corvette II, American, or Typhoon, and maybe a Hornet. They stopped using that style chainguard in 1958 on middleweights, and 63 on lightweights. -Adam

Well my bro Drew (he made me a mountain bike out of a varsity in the early 80s) paid me a visit today. It seems my springer bike has a later Heavy duty (large spoke rear wheel) w/mexican bendix hub/brake. So all I need is the front for my HD. Haven't checked the paint on the fork but I was told Its a cool bike dont remove the rust just ride it.quote="Rustinkerer"]
I went back out and looked a little closer @ the top tube, There is a Schwinn decal that has been over painted and some black paint where the blue has flaked off. The added decal is futher forward than the old one.
It's an A15 American if you find the fork paint matches the black on the frame. Otherwise it'd be a Corvette II, American, or Typhoon, and maybe a Hornet. They stopped using that style chainguard in 1958 on middleweights, and 63 on lightweights. -Adam[/quote]

Many thanks to all who helped me sort this bike out. From now on to be reffered to as Project '65 Franken-Schpringer. Unless someone already has claim to this project title....Lemme know.
Rat Rod Bikes is awesome site/community. I really enjoy it.

Mike Schwartz

Latest posts

Back