re-painting frames

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when re-painting a frame is it necessary to strip it down to bare metal - or..... can i get away with just sanding it, and using a primer that "fills in" and wet sanding? ive done it both ways and i havent been completely happy w/ either, then again...maybe i just suck at painting! any help would be appreciated. fast eddie outty

in the end you have to realize that rattle can paint is rather porous meaning that no matter what you do it might rust eventually. also most rattle can paint will scratch easy but as a plus it does cost a drop in the bucket compaired to auto paint, or powder coating. personally i try to remove as much of the paint as i can just because sometimes you will find nicks and dents in the frame that need to be filled if you want it perfect. also make sure you do a lot of thin coats when painting your not going to hurt it by adding another coat of paint. i will typically empty a whole can of primer on the frame just to make sure i get in all the nooks and crannys and the same with the paint. just remember lots of thin coats not thick ones where it is likely to run. i really like the krylon flat colors they go on well and are somewhat scratch resistant. one more thing once you are done with the initial sanding make sure to wash and dry the frame as well as you can. basicly it all comes down to the more time you take in prep then taking your time painting the better the end result will be.

heres a good resource http://www.cycling-adventurer.net/how-to/paint-01.html

follow the correct time on the primer(usually 2 hours and paint, or after 72 hours and paint. read the can!), and wait 3 WEEKS after the paint job until you put anything back together. just my $ .02

no scratchy scratchy
p.s. also always make sure you get the same brand of primer and paint![/url]

good call yes the more time you let the paint setup after your done the better it will be. i have heard of car restorers letting paint cure for a month before they reasemble a car. thats why i am so amazed when i watch overhaull'in and how fast they paint the cars and dry it as well. i know they use heat but still wow. would love to see an out takes show of that i bet there have been more than a few touch ups in the past. :mrgreen:

What's everyones take on using car paint touchup that comes in a spray can? I would imagine it would be more resilliant than using spray paint intended for other purposes.... I'm planning on using some for my next project. :D

Based on my own experience, the touch up paint in the small spray cans (ala' Canadian Tire) is less durable than other spray paints. So far the most durable stuff I've found is the Krylon Epoxy, but colour choice is very limited.

Many autobody supply shops can put whatever colour & type of paint you like into spray cans (within reason of course). While it is a little more $$ than an off-the-rack spray can, you should be able to get exactly the colour you want.

I recently did a small test with a custom basecoat-in-a-spray-can followed by a coat of Krylon clear gloss epoxy and the results look quite promising.

Hope this info helps

-Mp

Back