Re: scrap yard pickins.....TWO MORE!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just went to the scrapyard today to help clean out the shed and get some of the walmart huffys out of my shed that have been kicked around too long. I normally end up hauling a load of bikes in and hauling another load of bikes out....lol. Today was no different, I found this one buried in a bin under a washing machine and 3 walmart bikes. Looked cool so I had to dig it out and save it. The patina is AWESOME! I think it will make a sweet rat or rebuild project. I also loved the rack and chain guard on it. Well hope you enjoy looking at my $3 scrapyard score.

bike4.jpg

I loved this twin top tube and single cantilever bar design.

bike5.jpg

bike.jpg

bike1.jpg

This rack might see some road time on my bootlegger bike after some flat black paint and pinstripe.

bike2.jpg

bike3.jpg

Re: scrap yard pickins......Now what is it?

Markm said:
Guess it could be a Hawthorne too....

Haven't had one of those either, mostly huffy, murry, crusty, and rusty that come through here. And a few scattered Walmart junkers.

It does look like a Hawthorne! I love that style of frame with the twinn tubes on top. What a cool find dude! I may have to come scrounging the scrap yard with ya sometime. :D

The frame looks like my Rollfast (maybe a Murray built bike) 8)
rollfast.jpg

Well the bike is now in my bedroom and I started cleaning and disassembling it. You guys are good! Scrubbing the rack's rear edge with some simple green revealed the Hawthorne marking! and I even got the insurance sticker off the rack and got a glimpse of what the red-ish chrome color and white paint looked like before 50 years of weather got to it! I love it when stickers preserve little spots of the original paint so you can get an idea of what it was like originally. Even if the sticker does put up a fight coming off.... :mrgreen:

100_1075.jpg

heres a pic of BikeriderX delivering a Hawthorne frame just like yours... :mrgreen:

After a quick search of Hawthorne I also found a few members who have the same frame. I'm starting to get a lot of ideas now........ :mrgreen:

MisterBrunswick's Hawthorne Klunker
024.jpg

Even RatRod has or had one! I like this style
DSC_0002-2.jpg

DSC_0001-2.jpg

DSC_0004-2.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

Diceman's is nice too

CIMG0565.jpg

Boardtack fan's Hawthorne

Picture026.jpg

Skirts man! You have a cool piece for sure. I think you shoud find or build a truss for the forks. So much potiential there. I am happy and proud of your find. Plus, jealous. I only find ladies Hawthornes. :roll: I know you will build a cool ride out of it. Exciting isn't it. :wink: I have an original seat for yours if you want it. It needs recoverd but, the metal and springs are still good. You are welcome to it for freeeeeee. :D

ckdesigns69 said:
Skirts man! You have a cool piece for sure. I think you shoud find or build a truss for the forks. So much potiential there. I am happy and proud of your find. Plus, jealous. I only find ladies Hawthornes. :roll: I know you will build a cool ride out of it. Exciting isn't it. :wink: I have an original seat for yours if you want it. It needs recoverd but, the metal and springs are still good. You are welcome to it for freeeeeee. :D

Yeah I've had a lot of cool finds this year, there were two other bikes there that I might go back for tomarrow morning, Didn't have the cash on me to grab them and it was right at closing. Looked like:

A Men's Schwinn cantilever frame, 90% complete, had a bent up rack on front, missing front wheel back was trashed but hub was there, no fenders, no bars, and the stem rusted into the fork.

The other was a girl's, I think a Schwinn or something with a Schwinn guard, Had the cool chain-guard on it (circle with kinda a wing coming off of it), fat fenders that were kinda in need of massaging with a big hammer, no wheels, had some cool parts though.

Well I woke up early (5am) and went back up to the scrapyard and was at the gate when they opened at 7am. Well worth the waking up early, hour of cleaning the shed and loading, then carefully riding up there with 200 lbs of walmart junk bikes and parts on the trailer. But the two bikes I wanted were still right where they were! Upon getting them home I got looking at them and I got a girl's Schwinn Wasp and a men's cantilever frame, Not 100% sure but I think it's an American.

PA270191.jpg

PA270187.jpg

PA270188.jpg

Got to love this chain guard!
PA270189.jpg

PA270190.jpg

These markings are so unique adds a touch of class to it
PA270192.jpg

rim is toasted
PA270197.jpg

But the Bendix script hub is good! Good thing I bought all those hub parts from the flea market last summer.
PA270194.jpg

Got to love these fat fenders, they need a little love with the big hammer but not rusted into oblivion yet
PA270193.jpg

Let me kow if you want to get rid of the American. If the rear part of the frame is toast, that's even better. I've got a project kicking around in my head that will require cutting a Schwinn frame like that up.
MOOOWAHHHHH!!!!

Cheers!
Dr. T

look up the serial on the mens frame (guessing early 60's) and then check the year catalog. Should be able to find it by looking for bikes with the front rack and a full painted chainguard (and the chrome at the top of the fork).

subadrew said:
look up the serial on the mens frame (guessing early 60's) and then check the year catalog. Should be able to find it by looking for bikes with the front rack and a full painted chainguard (and the chrome at the top of the fork).

Where are the serial numbers located? I have looked and can't find them on any of the 3 frames

schwinnmesa said:
Way to go! I rarely find old stuff like that at my scrapyard. Nice scores!

Yeah it's a very rare occurrence here too. Normally the best I find there is like 70's 10 speeds or walmart junk bikes, and a few BMX bikes that have been spray bombed. I saw these and my heart skipped a beat. I'm still on cloud 9 here. I'm gonna probably just pull the cranks out and see what year they are.

Latest posts

Back