Rear drop outs to far apart

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 80's mountain bike and i want to make it a single speed. I have seen single speed kits for different wheels but I want to use a regular single speed wheel. So my question is, how do I get the rear drop outs closer together while keeping the sprockets in line?

I would try a bolt with large washers and a nut. Tighten drop outs to about 3/4" smaller than the 1 speed measures, it will spring back some.

You can "cold set" (bend) the chainstays to narrow the axle width if your frame is steel... but not if it is aluminum

If you have an aluminum frame you will need to convert the rear wheel gear cluster (cassette) to single speed, leaving the axle the same width

Since you say your bike is from the 80's, it is most likely a steel frame

The Sheldon Brown website covers all this in detail http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html

Man y'all are gettin' too techno-call here. Jus' put yer frame on the ground and push on the back with yer foot till it squeezes down to the size you need. That's what I done. :lol:

broken-bike.jpg

No seriously good advice guys. :wink:

I was going to suggest a C clamp on the drop outs, tighten until you fit the hub on and can tighten the axle bolts by hand, then pull the clamp and tighten the rest of the way down. It will pretty much center itself UNLESS you have a frame that is asymmetrical. Doubt it, but a tape will tell you really quick. Hope that helps some.

Depends on the frame!
A lightweight road bike frame I wouldn't dream of crushing! Or a thin an alum. frame, to much stress, cause cracking, alignment issues, all kinds of stuff! On those I just add a nut the inside, a washer and tighten like a regular wheel, no frame crush!
Non-american made imported frame, step on it and make it right!

mitchelangelo said:
I would try a bolt with large washers and a nut. Tighten drop outs to about 3/4" smaller than the 1 speed measures, it will spring back some.
Why didn't I think of that......now I need to go to the store....why must you do this to me :)

Latest posts

Back