reflectors and lights...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put them on anything I intend to ride. Many people think it's cheezy to put a full compliment of reflectors on a bike, but I ask: how many times have you nearly hit some fool because he was riding at night with no reflectors, and you almost didn't see him.

In my state, full reflectors are state law. If you get in an accident, and you don't have a red rear, white front, a white on each rim, and orange on the pedals, then you're automatically at fault.

My state also requires a white light as a headlight, and a red taillight to be on AT ALL TIMES while on a road or bike path. A law which is far and away ignored by almost everyone.

I'm for looking cool, but not if it means breaking laws or being hit by a motorist.

Thoughts?

Here in NY, reflectors are required, and lights are required to ride after sunset. But it isn't commonly enforced. Personally, I put lights on anything I ride frequently, but I might not necessarily use front/rear reflectors if the lights are effective. Regarding wheel reflectors, I use them if I can't find reflex sidewall tires in the size/color I want.

I often see an individual riding when I'm on my way home from work. Black bike, no reflectors, no lights, often wearing a dark jacket, on an unlit section of road. I almost hit him once, and I'm probably more bicycle/motorcycle conscious then the average motorist. I expect that Darwin will rear up and bite him one of these days...

I strip all my mountain bikes of reflectors (weight wheenie, haha), but I am very cautious if I do have those bikes on the road at night. As I build cruisers I am trying to integrate lights into the build. My tall bikes had no reflectors and since I do ride them alot at night I added orange pedal relfectors to each and bought some relector decals (red/white) to add front and rear.

I was riding one of the tall bikes one night at Myrtle Beach and an unimpressed bicycle cop yelled that I need a headlight and rear reflector, I promptly dismounted and reached in my pocket and pulled out a wearable headlamp with a red flashing light clipped on the rear of it and put it on, he was then pleased. So now anytime I ride I have that with me for unexpected run in (this was in a WELL lit area, and I wasn't exactly blending in) and for times I might end up on a dark road.

Latest posts

Back