Remove derailer side to side spring

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wandering about removing the spring that holds tension on the side to side motion when changing gears the spring keeps pulling it into another gear the shifter I'm wanting to use is really a push pull choke cable from an old car I was thinking since it was a solid wire type cable it might work just wandering if anyone else had tried this

Yes...I ran into a similar set-up one week ago at the bike co-op where I teach. Ther bike in question was equipped with a Shimano Positron arrangement--a forerunner of modern indexed shifting.

The Positron system was Shimano's first serious commercial foray into indexed shifting, and it was activated by a wire rather than a braided cable... and some (not all!) had the "front freewheel system" as well. I always thought it was a cool system, but I wouldn't wanna live with it on my own bike--especially now that shift wires are getting scarce. But, a lot of old-timey mechanics seem to HATE Positron with a burning fire usually reserved for only the most evil and vile creations on Earth. I wasn't there, wrenching, in the 70s, so I don't get it-- apparently, once they develop some play, they never index quite right, but customers BITD who had just bought it new, they don't wanna hear that malarkey. Anyway, at the co-op, if there's ANYthing awry on a Positron-equipped bike, we pull it off immediately and run it singlespeed or we toss on a friction set-up from a donor bike....They can quickly become a time-thief if any serious attempts to fix them occur.

I'm not looking to change derailers it's is a SlS derailer other than that idk but I was wanting to take the spring out of it and use a stiff choke type cable to shift I know that I would have to maneuver it to the right spot when shifting to keep the chain running smooth but what I'm wanting to know is if the derailer will still function without the spring as long as I push or pull it to the right position?

It will probably work. I anticipate you will have problems with it jumping gears. Old Friction shifters allowed you to add more friction by screwing down the center screw. If you can add some adjustable friction to you push/pull cable, then you might be ok.

It's a pretty hefty cable it's not like the choke cables you buy at the parts stores these days it is a cable that come out factory on some kind of car from the fifties it has a really cool T handle to pull from if I needed to I could probably tap the side of the housing and put a screw that I could adjust for tension if I did need it but I believe it would be okay as long as I could remove the spring

Back