remove dry cement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Don't know what I'm doing, gonna do it anyway.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Trying to help out a local guy.
As I understand it this local guy has a decent collection, at some point there was some cement work done at his house. Somehow cement got poured on one of his bikes, my friend Carrie told me he's trying to figure out a way to remove the cement from his bike without damage to paint or decals.

Anyone have any ideas?

ac7e7f7cf2539cee9441e678441f46c4.jpg

ae0237b5c1cc8a81a814101c227efdf3.jpg

f21f462b10f8a31f642a4117bc245d2f.jpg

5ad2e08641405500c74569e7fa601eae.jpg

dee86de7e769eaea5327df0825f816d0.jpg

86a4e00426683beee11b758566ed4bdd.jpg

6cae4d0c3039795b0f4f58cd53f17c56.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

I was told white vinegar after I got stuck behind some tool who was dripping concrete out of the bed of his truck. Ended up trading the car in filthy so the dealer would dismiss it as a run-over milkshake. With 167k on it, they didn't even bother looking that far. You can guess how well the vinegar worked.

Maybe cover the whole thing in a thin layer of concrete as an "art" bike?

Personally I would leave it as is and let it be part of the history of the bike, but I'm told the owner likes his bikes as original as possible.

Its a concord Bentley, I don't know if it has any particular value, just trying to help the guy out. I can't imagine vinegar removing cement.
I initially said maybe use a jewellers hammer to tap it off, it might leave scratches but it better than sandblasting.

Maybe more of a blunt chisel than a hammer? Does it come off the seat if you flex it? Of course, that wouldn't work with the steel. If there was some way you could introduce some high frequency, high power vibrations to the frame that you could vary in frequency to find the perfect resonance, it's possible it could flake off. Probably not. Unfortunately, you've got the ingredients of a bunker there.

The vinegar (eventually) took off most of the chunks (they crumbled off), but the white concrete liquid was unfazed. Yours being mostly solid piece, it may be worth trying brushing it on a few times and leaving it to soak in. At a minimum, I think it may soften the outer surface.

Good luck!

I'll let him know about the vinegar.
I'm not sure if a pressure washer would damage decals, might be worth a try too.

If it spilled all over the bike, it had to have spilled on other things around it. Experiment on something that doesn't matter first. Also, if the bike was waxed, that should help.

If it spilled all over the bike, it had to have spilled on other things around it. Experiment on something that doesn't matter first. Also, if the bike was waxed, that should help.
That's a very valid point.
I've never met the guy, so I don't know where all the cement got to but it makes sense.
I'll tell Carrie all of these ideas, and she can run them past the owner.

I'll let him know about the vinegar.
I'm not sure if a pressure washer would damage decals, might be worth a try too.
I ran the pressure washer over a puegot frame i got this weekend. The decals were not damaged.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Piece of 1×4 soft wood. Gently start tapping on the concrete with the narrow edge. It should start chipping off. The wood should be soft enough not to dent or damage paint.

I actually use soft wood cut at a steep angle in a trim saw or plastic drywall knives as scrapers when removing tar when detailing cars. Neither of these should damage the paint, work slowly.

FYI, the white goop handle cleaner works well to dissolve tar without being harsh if you get that on your bike or car. It's not fast, but it won't melt your paint either, dab it on, wait, rub it off with soft towel.

Latest posts

Back