removing wedge from fork...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i sprayed a generous (and very smelly) amount of anti-seize into fork tube from both top and bottom of the stuck wedge and let it soak. i tried pounding out the stuck wedge put that didnt work. the thread in the wedge are stripped so i cant simply use it with a different stem. i have no tool to apply heat and i dont wanna spend any money on one wedge, does anyone have any ideas??? i reeaaallly wanna use this fork!!!
thanx fast eddie outty

Eddie, Any way you can access the wedge from the bottom? You might be able to use a small diameter drift punch to drive it upward through a fender screw hole? If it's cocked sideways, move the punch about 90 degrees around the wedge each time you hit it. Hope that works! Thanks!!!

Is it just the wedge that's stuck? Or is the stem still in there, too? If it's just the wedge, you could go to home depot and get a cheap Bernzomatic torch (i think they're about $14 for a real cheap one) and hit it with that. Then take a longer stem (or a long, thick bolt or whatever), put it in as far as you can, then try the metal mallet on it, see if you can bust it loose like that. That should work if the fork tube is steel and the wedge is too. If the fork is aluminum, try using hydrogen peroxide instead of penetrant to break the bond.

I have a similar problem, except the whole stem is jammed in the steer tube. I tried everything, except heating because I don't want to damage the frame, I sprayed a ton of wd40, liquid wrench, smashed it with a hammer, twisted etc...is there anyway to get this darn thing out?

P.s its on a 1935 Elgin motobike...maybe there is a part I am not seeing...

Back