Replacing rear sprocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I feel my Electra cruiser 1 is geared way too low for me. I read where guys replaced the 22t rear sprocket with a 19. Will this make a significant difference? Right now I have to pedal my ... off to keep a good clip. What all do I need? (what sprocket, tool etc) also where should I get it?

You can run a slightly smaller rear sprocket to gain a higher top speed at lower rpms. The other option is to run a slightly larger chainring (although the difference will be more pronounced).

ya just a coaster. Wasnt sure if I needed a speacial tool or what. I am still pretty new to rippin into bikes. :cry:

Replacing the sprockets isn't very hard. Just pry the snap ring off, the old sprocket slides off and the new one goes back in it's place.

Assuming you have a 44 tooth front sprocket- with the 22 tooth on the back the wheel turns two full revolution for each crank revolution. This equates to approximately 163" of forward travel distance. Swapping to a 18 tooth (for easier mathematical calculations) would mean that each crank rev would result in 2.44 wheel revs or 199" of forward travel.

Another option would be to get a larger front chain ring. Perhaps a 52 tooth or if you want to be real manly get a 66 tooth sprocket from an old Schwinn exerciser.
2rrrwp1.jpg

For the rear on a Shimano coaster hub you can use any Shimano cassette cog with just a little grinding to the splines. Instant huge range of cog sizes.

Back