Rim rust removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a fast and somewhat easy way to remove the rust of the rims. There is alot of rust on them, Any ideas

Ive had surprisingly good luck with SOS soap pads (generic from the Dollar Store work as well), but dont space it out and use Brillo pads!!!
Do soak the rust with something, water works, and WD-40, and get the pad well saturated, then start scrubbing. I found I like to use the utility sink and have the tap running warm slightly to keep a rinse handy.

I spray them down with wd40 or pb blaster, let it work overnight, then work on them with fine steel wool. If they are bad, a brass wire brush, while they are spinning, to do it faster. It can get messy.

a wire wheel works really fast and will clean spoke nipples too. Finish with 0000 steel wool.

So, do you have chrome rims with surface rust, deep pits or flaking chrome? Or is it painted and rusty rims? It really depends on the level of rust removal you need to do, or how much original surface finish you want to save. Another consideration, and probably more important, is the condition of the inside of the rims. Old tubes and flat tires hold a lot of moisture inside, and the rust through in there can be terribly weakening of the rim making a bunch of work on the outside a wasted effort.

Latest posts

Back