ROCK BOTTOM RAT - DONE !!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT- update-

Got the bike torn down.
100_4328.jpg

I want to use as many original parts as possible. The wheels were shot and I had to cut the rear hub out.
100_4467.jpg

I am hoping to use the rear cog on this chrome wheel I had. Am having a very tough time getting it apart and would appreciate any advice.
100_4472.jpg

I used an orbital sander and wire wheel on the frame
100_4352.jpg

100_4342-1.jpg

The spring on the original fork is rusted out but I had this fork and I like the look of it.
I wire wheeled the front and then cleared it. The forks painted spray can cream.
100_4359.jpg

I painted the frame rattle can red oxide primer and cream. Used a stencil kit for the front design. Put as much as I have right now together this morning and here is what I have so far.
100_4474.jpg

100_4476.jpg
232.photobucket.com/albums/ee8/bebopblu/100_4475.jpg[/IMG]

Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT - UPDATE photos

Thanks for the comments. Anyone have any advice as to how to get that rear skip tooth sprocket apart so I can use it on the new wheel?

Nice colors and I love that fork.
It looks like the same one that SchwinnRay is trying to use.

Thanks - I think that is a Columbia fork. I think it looks tougher than the standard Schwinn springer.

The bike is looking Great ...
Your Springer is a Columbia, I have one on my '59 Columbia Jet Rider...

ColumbiaJetRider008.jpg

It's a real good fork ...
Keep Going ....

Good looking bike! McLovin' that chainguard! Peace

bebopblu said:
Thanks for the comments. Anyone have any advice as to how to get that rear skip tooth sprocket apart so I can use it on the new wheel?

Wow! what a great transformation you've done! From a big pile of tetanus shots waiting to happen to a sick looking bike with a WAY cooler than Schwinn springer!

Depending on which type of hub you have on that chrome wheel and how the sprocket is mounted... You didn't mention it, but if its a newer brand, you may need one of these:
Picture1_12.png

eBay seller "skiptooth2" sold me one. He currently has nothing for sale on eBay right now, although you could try emailing him.
Here is an old ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skiptooth-S...WDVW&rd=1&ih=014&category=156523&cmd=ViewItem

Thanks so much for your reply to my question regarding the rear skip tooth cog. The hub on the wheel I want to use on the bike is a Bendix. BUT the hub the skip tooth is on is an older New Departure. So am I wasting my time trying to get the cog off the hub (is it threaded on?? reverse??) or should I buy one like you posted.
Any help on this topic would be appreciated. I do have a complete and in good shape rear skiptooth hub but wanted to avoid relacing the wheel with the other hub. Not even sure if the spokes would be the right length.
Thanks again
100_4487.jpg

Peatbog said:
That is really cool. The way you painted the fork to match the frame front looks great.

Nice looking mockup, great colors.

bebopblu said:
Thanks - I think that is a Columbia fork. I think it looks tougher than the standard Schwinn springer.

You're gonna give Schwinns everywhere fork inferiority complexes. Your bike is really looking good.

Thanks for the nice comments. Working on the headlight now and want to mockup with some other bar choices. Maybe even go towards a board tracker look. :?:

bike2112 said:
Could you just grind off every other tooth on your rear cog?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good question.. Does any one know if that would work or is worth the effort???????

bike2112 said:
It should work. I've done it. Happy grinding. Just make sure your cog has an even number of teeth on it or you will end up with 2 cut out right next to eachother.

BUT...Pedaling would be...interesting. LOL

Re: ROCK BOTTOM RAT - UPDATE 6/18

So I decided not to grind the existing sprocket into a skiptooth. I purchased a skiptooth rear hub which was in great condition and replaced the bendix with the skiptooh onto a chrome 26x1.75 rim.
100_4488.jpg

100_4490.jpg

100_4497.jpg

100_4499.jpg

100_4504.jpg

Now to deal with the skiptooth chain - got it soaking in some oxalic acid
100_4502.jpg

100_4494.jpg

Back