Rockin' Rollfast - Finally a Video!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did enough cutting and grinding today to get to the point of no return. My new little wire feed welder is just sitting back there waiting...

ffcfcba671ec1bf61aa991d3230526f0.jpg

Also got the tanklifier form cut out of plywood, cranks came and there's a rack on the way.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Can't see the trees...

15a6ed4f362e63e3d192bca6c357989c.jpg

Ready to go, and I've never ran a bit of wire feed before. Guess this hacker stick weld guy needs to practice a bit first... think I'll cut a bottom bracket out of some junk and put these together...

159400986c3e39cc8b775e912d73f16c.jpg

Looks like I've found my next muscle bike frame...

Carl.

Fired up the welder today ...
reminded me of something @CRASH said one time talking about Chinese Schwinn welds...
looks like monkeys did it...
But I'm getting the hang of it. Wire feed is weird but cool.

Carl.

I did not like mine - very cheap Century model bought over a decade ago. Flux core wire only, plastic drive wheels slipped making wire speed flaky, only 2 Amp selections, worst feature was only 10% duty cycle after welder was in use, so took forever to do anything other than tack weld. Maybe inexpensive wire welders have improved?

After the welding before the bondo mockup...
RRFast 004.jpg

RRFast 005.jpg

RRFast 007.jpg

RRFast 006.jpg

Need a better angle shot... speedo tucks into the curve of the bars.
I have a thumb shifter for the 3 speed... (how boring is that?)
Oh my tweed and my speaker came in... Tanklifier soon...

Carl.

Looks like the new welder does the trick. It looks really cool Carl. Love that stretch. Can't wait to see the guitar shenanigans.
Haha! There's still a bit more than the tanklifier and guitar rack going on. The shifter is up in the air (maybe a suicide shift o_O) and I haven't nailed down a color yet... lights, brakes, fenders, chain guard and maybe, just maybe a doodad...

Carl. :rockout:

See, you're doin' it.
looking good Carl...
I never had one problem with the duty cycle on my little HF toy welder. lol
just dial it in on a piece of what you're workin' on..
somewhere in between just that min and max setting and the wire feed, which basically is the amperage...and then, think of min / max as less heat / 'mo' heat'..is the sweet spot
One thing I'm sure happy about, is that there aren't more dials....

one big mistake people make about these cheapies, is they get all finicky about the 'wire' feed rollers. It's not a precision machine...if the wire is coming out. hey..you're all good, eventually , you get the feel for 'your' machine, I can now tell if it's a good weld or if it's gonna pop open on me later as it's goin down.
I'm still using the same Milwaukee drill that I've had since 1985, I can't kill the thing, more importantly...I can't use any other drill....
franco
9b76f525fbd41ecf03310b018215dfa3.jpg

Hehe... yeah it's not too different from stick welding.
Like you said @franconuevo, just gotta get used to the machine...
Guitars are like that too, my favorite players are rats I rebuilt.

Carl. :rockout:

Pretty cool coming together nicely & your welding skills look great along with some grinding I'm sure. The bike looks long and lean. Can't wait to see the color [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cool coming together nicely & your welding skills look great along with some grinding I'm sure. The bike looks long and lean. Can't wait to see the color [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man. It's not anything cutting edge or never before seen, but it does what I envisioned and blends the tank area into the seat stays... It was actually a lot of fun to ride even though it has no brakes. Steers wonky at slow paces but is stable with a little speed, just takes a little getting used to. Long and lean is what I'm after, now to add the layers of what I hope turns to coolness. Tweed, chrome and paint. I'm thinking translucent red over hammered charcoal or hammered bronze...

Carl.

Tweed, chrome and paint. I'm thinking translucent red over hammered charcoal or hammered bronze...

Carl.
ohh ! can't wait to see that paint !
Nice metal work , makes great lines on that frame:rockout:

Anybody else never use bondo before? I mixed it up according to directions, and am smoothing it on and what? All of a sudden it's hard and won't smooth on anymore... haha not much work time. Second batch I worked a little quicker. Weird, one minute it's creamy smooth and in seconds it went to gritty rubber that won't work. But I got it where I wanted it so next it's sand it down.

Carl.

Anybody else never use bondo before? I mixed it up according to directions, and am smoothing it on and what? All of a sudden it's hard and won't smooth on anymore... haha not much work time. Second batch I worked a little quicker. Weird, one minute it's creamy smooth and in seconds it went to gritty rubber that won't work. But I got it where I wanted it so next it's sand it down.

Carl.

I thought it was just me! I can never seem to get it smoothed out before it sets up.

Back