-ROLAND- FINISHED ((sneak peak))

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So here's what I'm starting with.....it seems to be an early 50's Huffy built Western Flyer. (thanks, Double Nickel!!) The serial # is long since gone, all that remains in its place are pits and scale :?
100_5246.jpg

This frame is MAJORLY CRUSTY....I love it! :D

100_5250.jpg

100_5251.jpg

You may be able to tell that it was house painted black about a bajillion years ago. Well, believe it or not, my intention as of now is to KEEP that paint! I'm a SUCKER for texture and patina. My plans are to smooth it down a bit with steel wool, and probably wax it or clear it with satin. See, I've never had a black bike before (believe it or not) and this will be my first. Normally I name bikes based off their colors, and relate it to a pop-culture reference (Green Hornet, for instance). The first thing that comes to mind for me is one of my FAVORITE BANDS......BIG BLACK!!! But Big Black seems like kind of a boring name, so instead I have decided to name it after the ubiquitous 4th member of the band, the drum machine Roland!

Picked up a few extra crusty parts that I'm pretty sure will make it onto the finished bike......

rusty apes
100_5247.jpg

cool peaked fender.....it will be painted another color
100_5254.jpg

and finally, probably the closest I'll ever get to having an X-53 :roll:
100_5252.jpg

Plans are for a set of 24x3's I've got that will stuff quite nicely into that fender. The springer will get "adjusted" hehe. Also planning a special tank that I GUARANTEE will knock everyone's socks off....but I'll have to keep that one a secret for now. :mrgreen:

Re: -ROLAND-

After starting my thread I decided to try to wrestle that fork out. Darnit the first stem I ever had to cut :? As you see, the old forks lost the battle against the pipe wrench and 5 foot cheater! Time to have a little chat with Mr. Sawzall. When I pulled the fork, bearings went EVERYWHERE.....it was a terrible sight hahaha.

100_5255.jpg

Oh yeah when I started working on it, I noticed a serial number on the seat post clamp.....0H058072. I THINK I remember seeing a post on here where someone said for huffys the first number is the last number of the year, making this one a 1950. Anybody have any ideas??

Re: -ROLAND-(the point of no return)

Yep, no coming back from this one. Well you know, nothing's sacred! :mrgreen:

100_5259.jpg

100_5260.jpg

Oh yeah, drilling 1/2" holes in round tubing is a pain in the 3-speed.....

Now you can put little scoops on the back side of each hole and use a vented saddle and you'll have air conditioning for your "3-speed."

Nah...I could tig 'em up, but since I'm planning on keeping the paint I want to do as little welding as possible.

Aw man you beat me to it! Mind if I still use this idea some for my build? It looks terrific, and after seing what it can look like Im even more juiced to try it on my machine! I don't want to be a 'copy cat', I had though of this to a lesser extent for my build but you got to it first, and I dont want to steal your thunder :D

Not like he's the first guy to drill a bike frame. Check out "Joe Kid on a Stingray" - there's a bike in there that must have 400 holes of differing sizes drilled in it.

EDIT: Not to say that the placement of those holes doesn't look about perfect... be pretty wicked to put an aluminum seatpost inside there that runs the full length, and peek-a-boos through the holes...

Re: -ROLAND-

Rockit! said:
Oh yeah when I started working on it, I noticed a serial number on the seat post clamp.....0H058072. I THINK I remember seeing a post on here where someone said for huffys the first number is the last number of the year, making this one a 1950. Anybody have any ideas??

I believe you are correct,sir. Mine is 0H016018. I think I read somewhere that the H stands for Huffman.

Strings_and_steam said:
Aw man you beat me to it! Mind if I still use this idea some for my build? It looks terrific, and after seing what it can look like Im even more juiced to try it on my machine! I don't want to be a 'copy cat', I had though of this to a lesser extent for my build but you got to it first, and I dont want to steal your thunder :D

I say ROCK IT! :mrgreen:

In fact, I'll even give you some tips because it can be a pain.....I screwed a frame up a couple of years ago doing it :oops:

I just saw that this was the frame I sold you. Sweet! Cant wait to see how it turns out! :wink:

Rockit! said:
Strings_and_steam said:

I say ROCK IT! :mrgreen:

In fact, I'll even give you some tips because it can be a pain.....I screwed a frame up a couple of years ago doing it :oops:

Thanks a million man! I'd be very interested in any tips you can share, PM me them if you'd like to keep them 'under wraps' 8) :wink:

Loving this build. Keep up the good work. I'm watching you. Peace

Hey, look who FINALLY got a chance to work on their bike! *me :x

Anyways.....been playing with the front end. Chopped the front off the springer.....it was in the way and looked funny without a fender. :mrgreen: The plates are just for mockup, I'll make 'em all pretty now that I've got the alignment right. Same thing for the plates I used to drop the rear. It'll sit high enough once I get a new tube for the rear tire........I think :? I'm not quite feelin the angle on the front truss. That might get changed somehow, I'll have to think on it for a bit. Anyway, you guys can get an idea of the stance I'm after.

100_5275.jpg

Re: -ROLAND-FINALLY back to work!!

this is what i started for last years build but had to drop out.

NewFolder010.jpg

have fun. nice work so far.

Outlaw :)

Back