Roller brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
How does a roller brake work? Is it possible to swap out a coaster brake for a roller brake on the same hub?

I have a Nexus coaster. My hub also came in roller brake. I don't think you can switch the Nexus parts, but I'm not positive. Gary

Yeah I'm thinking you can't swap them out but I was reading a review on a roller brake kit the other day, the guy said he put it on all 3 of his bikes and works way better than the coaster brake.

I've heard on this forum they are not as good as the coaster. I put a front drum brake on and don't use my Nexus coaster brake much at all. Gary

Well, I thought the roller clutch brake would fit any nexus???
I do know the nexus 3 I have, was a waste of money with the coaster brake. The brake is marginal, the shifting weak, and the insides look ready to break due to the delicate size of gears.
I am going to get on Shimano's site a see if the roller brake is a replacement.

Yes, it is. Appears they have 2 3 speed nexus hubs, and the roller brake fits both.

Interesting. So what happens when you back pedal with a roller brake? Does it freewheel? I've never even seen one in person.

You can put the roller brake on any roller-brake compatible hub. You will know if a hub is rollercompat or not b/c the NDS will look like this:
1.07%2BRemove%2Bcones%2Bunder%2Broller%2Bbrake.jpg

The brake goes onto those splines. The CB and disc brake versions of the Nexus hubs do not have that interface, b/c they already have better) brakes. Roller brakes are pretty underwhelming, IMO. Invest in a nice Sturmey-Archer drum hub. Or run rim brakes. Or no brakes. Friends don't let friends ride on roller brakes.

I have a couple heavy bikes with roller brakes. One Basman has them front and rear. When I built my Porucho I put a roller brake on the back and a drum on the front. I also have another Basman with only a coaster brake. All of these are running Nexus 8 hubs. The roller brakes work fine except on the steepest hills. I have had to put my feet down a couple times. Of course you can't do that with a coaster. My bikes weigh upwards of 60 pounds and I weigh 325.

I have an older Mongoose Redondo with roller brake on the rear and it is worthless. As bad or worse than side pull brakes. The bike came with canti-front/roller rear and I didn't even trust it for leisurely riding. Replaced the front with V's and it's functional now but I hope they never go out as the rear is not good.

I noticed no one has actually answered the original question: "How does a roller brake work?"
Other than hearing a bunch of personal opinions about their attributes, I am actually curious to know this!
I focused more on the requirements for installation, rather than the goings-on within an installed drum brake. I figured that showing the roller-compat hub's splined interface, the OP could figure out that his hub isn't compatible. But yeah, the cable is pulled, which expands the brake pads within the external "drum" of the bolt-on roller brake. Sheldon's site, which Kingfish linked above, goes into more detail.

LEt's not forget that some questions can be answered with an opinion. How does a roller brake work? Some may say "poorly". :crazy: Others in this thread seem to think they work quite well, as did Sheldon Brown. Different strokes for different folks, but those who dislike differing opinions should approach the interwebs with caution.

Like I said in my post, I wanted an answer not more opinions. Certainly wasn't much need for more opinions after the answer was given.;)
Of course that's my opinion....

So, the pics/info that I offered on what a hub needs to run a roller brake, that's just a useless opinion? FYI, when asking how a thing works, one can expect opinions, basically every time.

Back