ORBO Rough and Ready Redline

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got an Aheadset Potts-Mod so I can run the front brake cable through the steerer tube. It comes with a larger bolt with a hole through the middle for the cable. Star nut sized to match.

Old
IMG_0707.jpeg

New
IMG_0708.jpeg
IMG_0709.jpeg
IMG_0710.jpeg

I used an installation method I learned from RJ the bike guy on YouTube.

You just use an appropriately sized socket, slip the bolt through, space the bottom with washers and tighten the star nut up to it. Then mark for depth and tap it in. Works great!

IMG_0711.jpeg
IMG_0713.jpeg
IMG_0714.jpeg

Last edited:
Parts are trickling in so I added a few more today. The tires came in and they look great! They will work great too being a flatland tread design, high pressure and skinny at 1.75” to make them quick and agile. I’m bummed about the rear wheel. It’s a free-coaster hub which I wanted but I didn’t notice when I ordered it that it has a single wall rim. Double is much stronger and I was looking at another wheel that had it for similar price. It happens but I wish I had goofed the order on a different part. I didn’t put the front tire on as that wheel isn’t here yet. I put the rear u-brake and brake levers on but I need more parts to go further. The new bottom bracket showed up so I installed this old set of Redline one piece cranks I had and a used 25 tooth sprocket. Used platform pedals went on and then I was out of parts and getting cold but it’s looking good. Can’t wait to ride it!
IMG_0720.jpeg
IMG_0719.jpeg
IMG_0721.jpeg
IMG_0722.jpeg
IMG_0723.jpeg
IMG_0724.jpeg
IMG_0725.jpeg
IMG_0726.jpeg

Last edited:
Sweet!

Loving that smaller gumwall on the back. Building for race, when I was a kid, we would always put the narrow on the back so it would dig in, while the front floated across the gravel.

That Haro frame is awesome!

Sweet!

Loving that smaller gumwall on the back. Building for race, when I was a kid, we would always put the narrow on the back so it would dig in, while the front floated across the gravel.

That Haro frame is awesome!
From what I've read folks still like to run the smaller tire in the back. This will have a matching tire on the front but it does look pretty cool with the bigger tire.

I hope the Haro happens eventually, it's pretty sweet!

More parts showed up and have been waiting for me to have time to install them. The new front wheel is really nice. Double wall rim, sealed bearings. It’s the first wheel I’ve had that has a female threaded hub. Pretty cool. Got the tire on and bolted it up with the first pegs I’ve ever had on a bike.

IMG_0746.jpeg
IMG_0747.jpeg
IMG_0748.jpeg
IMG_0749.jpeg

I’m going to wind up having to buy a new seat post. This one won’t tighten enough. Looks great though. On the plus side the new tires allow plenty of room for a brake cable to drop through the steer tube.

Shim with aluminum pop can inside the seat tube. That post is too cool to lose!

Next up was the chain. I had purchased a black half link chain for my Eastern so it was time to install it. Then I was able to poach the nice nearly new chain from that one for the Redline.

IMG_0750.jpeg
IMG_0751.jpeg
IMG_0752.jpeg
IMG_0753.jpeg
IMG_0754.jpeg
IMG_0755.jpeg

I found that my cheapie chain breaker tool can’t handle half link chains so time for a new one I guess.

Next thing to figure out is the gyro. I’ve never installed one before but it’s not too challenging. The problem is that the top plate is too close to the detangler and I don’t think it will allow enough room to engage the brake fully. This steer tube may be too short but I’ll fiddle with it some more.
IMG_0756.jpeg
IMG_0757.jpeg

Shim with aluminum pop can inside the seat tube. That post is too cool to lose!
There's already 2 shims in there. I think the welded on 'clamp' arrangement on this frame is the issue. It's bent in and contacting both sides so there's no more adjustment available. Ultimately I think I'll have to cut it off and use a regular seat post clamp. For now I'm going to run it like it is. This post does look perfect on this bike. If I have to buy a new one I'll probably get a red anodized fluted post.

I rode it around a little and this thing is really nimble with the 1.75 tires inflated to 60 psi and the steep head tube angle. The tires will go to 85 if needed. I need to finish the brakes to really test the bike out but still fun. Especially coming back down the driveway when it's nearly dark out, grabbing brake lever's and having a "uh, oh yeah" moment before narrowly missing my girlfriend's car. :rofl: Also found out these 175mm cranks are too long, my heels hit the rear pegs. I don't know if I need 165 or 155 but I don't have either so it's these for now. I tried to do a manual on the rear pegs and, yeah, that's a no. I'm definitely going to need the pads I bought for learning tricks. Knee, shin and ankle. I'm starting to think I might need hip and elbow pads too. I'm not 47 anymore you know. :21:

IMG_0758.jpeg
IMG_0759.jpeg

I found a great deal on some Tuff wheels on eBay and I couldn’t resist. They arrived today and the front found its way onto the green bike right away. This bike is so much fun to ride. I’m looking forward to things being less muddy so I can go play on the jumps. The rear wheel will go on my old school chrome Redline.

I shuffled some spacers, flipped the stem and made enough room for the gyro. The stem is only clamping about 1/2” but I think it will do for now. The new grips look and feel great.
IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg
IMG_0762.jpeg

We’ve got a flood warning for the next few days so I moved the bike shop into the basement. Once I get the brakes finished it’s going to be time to take both (all 3?) BMXs out to the trails. :thumbsup:
IMG_0763.jpeg

Last edited:
Progress on the bike has been stalled but I’m going to try to sort out the brake situation today.

I’ve been trying to get this old 40 Chevy going so we can move it. It didn’t need much, just brakes, fuel system, cooling system and rewired. I haven’t started it in 17-18 years but it fired right up! Moved it out into the driveway where I can continue the work more easily.
IMG_0768.jpeg

Last edited:
Progress on the bike has been stalled but I’m going to try to sort out the brake situation today.

I’ve been trying to get this old 40 Chevy going so we can move it. It didn’t need much, just brakes, fuel system, cooling system and rewired. I haven’t started it in 17-18 years but it fired right up! Moved it out into the driveway where I can continue the work more easily.
View attachment 259777
Great looking ride. Looks perfect the way it is. What are your plans for it?

Great looking ride. Looks perfect the way it is. What are your plans for it?
Thanks! I’d like to hit some trails outside of town with some jumps and see how it rides. I’m going to see if my brother and sister in law want another bike for their kids. If not I’ll probably downgrade the parts a bit and donate it to the Christmas bike drive. And keep looking for a rad free-style frame. 😁

Last edited:
Thanks! I’d like to hit some trails outside of town with some jumps and see how it rides. I’m going to see if my brother and sister in law want another bike for their kids. If not I’ll probably downgrade the parts a bit and donate it to the Christmas bike drive. And keep looking for a rad free-style frame. 😁
Curious, what would you consider "a rad free-style frame"?

Something like this?

large_7AF03259-FDB0-4C48-8E4E-6762C62F18D8.jpeg

Curious, what would you consider "a rad free-style frame"?

Something like this?

View attachment 259827

That is a cool old Schwinn! I think that's about the era that I like, old-mid school. That one might be '90s? I like free-style bikes like the GT Performer
1709434126226.png

GT Dyno
1709434226053.png

Hutch Trickstar
1709434451464.png

And of course this awesome Haro Lineage
1709434573285.png

I'm not a free-style rider and I'm probably getting too old to learn but you never know. :grin:

Back