RRB BO 13 Discussion Thread....feeling lucky?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I read through this thread I was thinking about the options I have. I have a couple of bikes I could redo but I don’t think I’ll participate this time. I need a sabbatical from the building process. I need to ride, tweak and downsize the collection. It’s been a good run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I read through this thread I was thinking about the options I have. I have a couple of bikes I could redo but I don’t think I’ll participate this time. I need a sabbatical from the building process. I need to ride, tweak and downsize the collection. It’s been a good run.

I've been downsizing myself. Trying to make room to restore my car, then build a forge.
I think if I participate this year, it'll be my last for a while too.

I definitely need to shuffle my collection and for well over a year a big move has been planned for me to increase my work areas for guitars and bikes. But I've seen some pretty cool builds here done on dining room tables and apartment balconies. I should really sort my parts out into a couple of tubs of good stash and a couple of tubs of extra stuff and toss a bit to the recycler. I can weld some if I want with the little wire feed splatter box and I've restacked everything in my garage more than once to get a couple extra feet. I've also been known to push the guitar parts off of the coffee table to work on something bike related. Despite the hassles, I can't stop doing this. I love making things and I build and rebuild guitars and I build and rebuild bikes. If I only had one guitar or one bike, I'd be taking it apart and rebuilding it. I'm along for the ride.

Carl

Last edited:
13 bottles of beer on the wall
13 songs let's rock n roll
13 times I told you so
This ain't no time to waver son.

I've got a plan for 13 more
13 trips to the hardware store
13 pedals and I ain't got a pair
but it don't scare me cuz I don't scare

13 times that bolt said whoa
but it still came off with 13 blows
13 bikes rollin' down the road
13th Build Off and I can't say no

13 rats and a trailer queen
powder coated neon green
flat black pinstriped subtle chrome
no patina? roll it back home

Guitarl

Last edited:
If I assemble anything this spring/summer it will be boring, not BO quality projects.

But, I will be sure to tune in....

Hope there's not a rule against boring...not boring seems like a lot to try and live up to...:21:...my build should be plenty boring this year...:p...still looking forward to it though...:banana:

Hope there's not a rule against boring...not boring seems like a lot to try and live up to...:21:...my build should be plenty boring this year...:p...still looking forward to it though...:banana:
My plan is a simple bolt together of pre existing parts, little to no fab work or welding. So I guess I might be in the boring list too.

It's my 13th mental breakdown, yeah...
Lyrics or Bike names?
Tandem burrito conversion vs Schwinn Jaguar Rat?
How about a doughnut delivery bike called
Baker's Dozen?
Or, staring at the screen wondering
if this line is random enough?

Merle.​

13th Metal Breakdown

Lyrics or Bike names?
Baker's Dozen?

Merle.​
You could build a rear steer tandem.

Put Carl in charge of building the front half and Merle in charge of building the rear half. After it's finished you could ride in either position depending on who's in control of your personality at the time. ;)

Lyrics or Bike names?
Baker's Dozen?

Merle.​

"Baker's Dozen" :13: Wow... great minds do think alike. I've been contemplating a cargo bike for a while now and that name is on the list. Also on the list is 'Clutch'. Actually that's the whole list :blush: Do two entries constitute a list? o_O

You could build a rear steer tandem.

Put Carl in charge of building the front half and Merle in charge of building the rear half. After it's finished you could ride in either position depending on who's in control of your personality at the time. ;)

As I said... great minds and all that. I was contemplating doing Retroped as rear steer for added amusement with the retro pedalling. I was going to simply have the back of the frame as the front with no steering and have rods going 'back' to the fork to steer it. Would totally work I reckon... just have to mount the drive gear on the opposite side, which would be the right side as you sit on it facing the back of the frame... which is now the front. :39:

Never mind.

Glen.

As I said... great minds and all that. I was contemplating doing Retroped as rear steer for added amusement with the retro pedalling. I was going to simply have the back of the frame as the front with no steering and have rods going 'back' to the fork to steer it. Would totally work I reckon... just have to mount the drive gear on the opposite side, which would be the right side as you sit on it facing the back of the frame... which is now the front. :39:

Never mind.

Glen.

Someone built a fat tire version of that here on RRB a few years back

13th mental breakdown.jpg

Do tandem burritos need chicken wacker motors?
Because I've been draggin' parts of one around in an old crate for a years...

Merle.

Last edited:

As I stated I have some tweaking to do on current inventory bikes. Depending on the Rules for #13, I have a bike that I bought in 2012 or 2013. It is a blue 2010 Giant Via 2. I bought it with the intentions of changing the color of the frame and fenders. I kept putting it off, decided I liked it as is and started riding it. It is a great 700c town errand fitness bike.
Now I’m thinking I could document a color and tire change. Pretty simple, quick and easy. Not much of a rat rod build, but what the hey, it’s been done before. Catalog image...
78361d7004025cd59e44fff0b8b48608.jpg

Back