MBBO Savage B.O.B.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Savage B.O.B. (.......’ Orange Barracuda)
This is my only “before” picture as it was sold to me. It doesn’t show it well the picture, but it’s in really rough shape. Let’s see what I can do about that.

IMG_1605.jpeg

Here’s what I know so far: It will be orange.

A little something different for me… a pre-built wheel. A I was researching my direction, I found a solution in this. I will do some work to customize it, but this is a good solution and saves me time. It’s got 36 10 gauge spokes, so they are super thick and add to a “muscle” look.

IMG_1560.jpeg

IMG_1561.jpeg

That wheel is burly!! I love the bike, very cool. And the ‘itching orange paint scheme is going to look amazing on it. Even without those goofy Temu grips. 😆

This bike will have one of the drag forks I built and sold. Unfortunately I built them all to fit the 4” head tube of a Huffy Rail or Schwinn Sting-Ray. The Barracuda’s head tube is just under 6” tall. So…

IMG_1520.jpeg

Luckily this is an all stainless set, so I don’t have to worry about messing up fresh chrome.

But I did mess up the stainless with some errant slips of the angle grinder, which I’ll have to address.
IMG_1521.jpeg

luckily I had an extra steer tube. So I cut off the the end, and I’ll get the longer one welded on.
IMG_1531.jpeg

I’m converting this bike to a 5-speed with a rear disc brake. So the rear triangle needs more room. And do you see how ridiculously big that lock nut is? I don’t need that kind of space, so I switched it out to a thinner one. The wheel will be disassembled and reassembled later, and I’ll address the change in dish when I do that.
IMG_1623.jpeg

So I broke out my handy dandy spreading tool.
IMG_1624.jpeg

Once it was cranked open to fit, I had to fix the change in angle for the dropouts.
IMG_1625.jpeg

Better
IMG_1626.jpeg

I’ll have to check alignment again after I dimple the chain stays to get a fatter tire in there. Plus I’ll have to check frame alignment. That’s coming up.

But for now the hub fits.
IMG_1627.jpeg

Latest posts

Back