MBBO Savage B.O.B.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut two 2” lengths of 5/8” stainless.
IMG_1657.jpeg

2” is too much. The othe bike pictures was an inch and a half, but that seems long. So 1” seems about right.
IMG_1658.jpeg

This tubing has a slightly smaller OD, so I’m going to try to find something closer.

OK, here's my first thought.

Cut a corresponding plug out of stainless steel plate, cut the tubes at the appropriate angle and depth, weld the underside of the plugs to the tubes, then sand and polish smooth across the three surfaces.

Something like this:

forkn.jpg

OK, here's my first thought...
I like that thought. It was my first thought as well until a traditional idea came through. I'm not against either. I think it will boil down to whether I can match the OD. If I can't that slight difference might look odd. I'll let you know.

Oh, and I may have misunderstood you, but I can't weld the fork legs to the top plate or else the fork will never leave the bike again. That couldn't have been what you meant so I'm sure I'm misunderstanding. What I took from your suggestion is getting a piece of solid 1/2" rod that will snugly fit into the 5/8" ID. Then weld those inserts to the top plate. Then cover up the rest of the hole with the top plate, smooth it out and polish it like it was one piece.

Or... I could remake the top plate without the holes so they are truly solid. But... how would I correctly weld the insert to it? The slightest goof and it won't fit.
hmmmmm....

Good food for thought! I'm working on it!

Latest posts

Back