MBBO Savage B.O.B.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you have any air in the tube? If not you can pull it out and put just a bit of air in the tube that should push the stem through. Can't imagine that rim was made to use an extension.
Just enough for shape. I let that little bit out because I had a heck of a time getting the tire on. It’s super tight on the rim. I tried to press the stem up by pressing through the tire. I even pulled the stem up with channel locks. It just won’t stay up.

Sometimes I just have to stop before I start throwing things. The front tire should be easy. But it was a bear to get on. Then when I did, I can’t get the stem to pop out far enough to get the pump on it. It’s a deep rim, so I figured I can find an extended stem tube… but I’ve looked. Nothing. So I’ve hit a wall I can’t see around. Time for a break.

View attachment 280976
Are the spokes loose? One looks like it's not seated.

Are the spokes loose? One looks like it's not seated.
The spokes are fine. Not sure what you’re seeing.

I haven't used these myself, but it looks like a viable solution.
Went to my LBS this morning and they had these. A little long, so I’m going to find a shorter one, but that’s going to have to be the solution.
IMG_1943.jpeg

Ok, lots to catch up on. It broke over 100 degrees today, so it’s time to take a break.

First, before the front wheel dilemma, I got the front fender back from stripping. Here’s where the holes were filled in.
IMG_1933.jpeg

It’s a cheap “low rider” fender, and low rider is even stamped into the metal. To make sure you knew it was from China, they stamped it crooked. So I traced lines to cut just at the lower rider stamp and where the bends for the mounting are.
IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1935.jpeg

You can see how much I’m getting rid of.
IMG_1936.jpeg

Then…
IMG_1937.jpeg

A fair amount of shaping later…
IMG_1952.jpeg

So it needed a cross brace to mount to. So I cut and shaped one to fit in.
IMG_1960.jpeg

I like the fender to cradle into the brace. It’s stiffer that way, and looks better. So I traced out the cradle.
IMG_1961.jpeg

Then…
IMG_1962.jpeg

And…
IMG_1963.jpeg

Next I’ll shape this stainless piece to fill in that void and we’ll weld it in.
IMG_1965.jpeg

I got the rear fender back too. Drilled out the rivets that mounted this bracket to the fender so it could be stripped. Now I’m using fender bolts to install it.
IMG_1941.jpeg

They are a bit long so I’ll have to do something about that later.
IMG_1942.jpeg

I mounted it and put in the wheel…
IMG_1944.jpeg

I left the tab too long. It’s mind boggling how fat this wheel is. So… I’m going to cut it off and set it back even further.
IMG_1945.jpeg

I also have some more dimples to make and adjust. So much work to get this wheel set in!

Latest posts

Back