School Bangin' Junker-Revisited and finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thought i might share my recent build with you guys, i built it to ride to school
you think anyone 14-18 would steal this thing?

I probably would consider, but would never steal...
I love it, it rides great but it does need some adjustments and modifications

What it is:
Schwinn Straight bar basket case frame
reweld on downtube, pure pitting, something shoved in seat tube, bent dropouts(a little tiny bit)

Schwinn DX fork
Grinded down to fit modern wheels

Araya 26" Hoops laced to Null hubs Wrapped in Kenda Klaw XT tires
not sure if theyre arayas, but they sure do look nifty...pulled them off a trek antelope
and the kenda klaws from a bike i got from the riber

80's Schwinn Seat
and other cool stuff

took these pics a few days ago, ill get some better ones...

Also thinking about putting bmx cruiser bars, a schwinn mesinger seat and other various things on
what do you guys think?
IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4189.jpg

Re: School Bangin' Junker

you're lucky you live on the other side of the country...... i'd pinch that bike 8)

lucky i'm a changed man, and i don't do those things anymore..........

Oooh! nice fork...... yea, i'm gonna take your bike :lol:

Boardtrack fan said:
I'd steal it! That is a cool frame. Is that the 51 DX fork I sold you?
Yes it is.
i had it on a murray for a while, took it off and put it on this after i tore it apart and sold you the skiptooth stuff
Markm said:
I'd steal it too!! :mrgreen:
Nice build....brakes???

No brakes right now, its scary riding around the parking lot with no brakes...kids are crazy
I need a different fork, with the brake hole, preferably black and schwinn

Ive even been considering a rack

I just got a parking warning too, so i cant be driving the lincoln to school
but i have alot of other cars to drive...hehehhehehehehe

Sweet! It looks positively ratty. :) Must be fun to ride around on at the school campus. I would like to do that myself...

TheFlyingDingo said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. :shock: I'd have to wrap a 3/8 chain around that for it not be stolen at the school I go to, and someone would probably still find some creative way to vandalize it.

It's looking pretty cool! :D

Unchained said:
Sweet! It looks positively ratty. :) Must be fun to ride around on at the school campus. I would like to do that myself...

TheFlyingDingo said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. :shock: I'd have to wrap a 3/8 chain around that for it not be stolen at the school I go to, and someone would probably still find some creative way to vandalize it.

It's looking pretty cool! :D

I have a heavy duty Brinks lock, Braided steel i believe...but i dont know

its heavy, nice and the brinks thing throws people off...I tie it around the frame, front wheel and then my friends bike. it doesnt want to unravel, so its a pain in the buttox

Re: School Bangin' Junker-Revisitation

yesterday, someone came out to checkout some of the schwinn stuff i have. He was an artist from idaho, Looking for some bikes to mess with. He has only visited ratrod websites, and he knew what a ratrod was. He was staring at the Monster, admiring it's rat-tastic qualities. Then he saw my junker sitting next to it. He fell in love. I explained there were many problems with it, and he still wanted it.

So, i had plans to fix it up a long time ago...add brakes ETC.
So im doing it all now, so i can sell it
IMG_4353.jpg
List of things:
Originally the rear wheel didnt mount far enough back, so i personally thought it wasnt safe. I would ride it, but i would rather hurt myself than someone else. To fix this, I have to grind the part of the derailer the axle would sit in, further back so the axle slides back more...Im sure someone knows what im talking about
IMG_4346.jpg

I have to finish cutting the kickstand off, and sort of grind it smooth
IMG_4347.jpg

I dont think i can do much about the seat tube, since the seat post is staying still now, theres not much else i can do

And for brakes, im replacing the fork, something modern, ive got a bmx style fork, with sort of bad chrome, with a hole for a brake. if it doesnt fit, ill get some other new style fork...

I am also adding more speeds, im putting the second sprocket in the front, with a front schwinn derailer.
IMG_4351.jpg

I told the man if he wanted rear brakes, he would have to add a drum brake, or a brace where the fender bracket is with a hole in it...

I dunno!

i'd steal it, i'd put a stick shift on it, then i'd return it to ya. :)

Heres some more pictures:

Im pretty happy with how the fork looks on this thing...
IMG_4354.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

I decided to add a bullmoose neck or whatsit called...
it matches all the other parts so i thought...what the hay?
IMG_4357.jpg

IMG_4359.jpg

newer thumb shifters

and BEHOLD!!!
Brakes
IMG_4360.jpg

And yes, theyre the cool BMX wheels
IMG_4349.jpg

Hey DINGO,your builds commin along sweet!I LOVE your grips you had on it!!the new forks look great.I dont know about the front double sprocket and front derailer though.It gives you extra gears but I've felt I had enough range with only one front sprocket.Dont like the extra cables and junk under my feet!Its also cleaner looking in my opinion.Thats just.02 cents,and that doesnt add up to much!haha.Looks great.

Well, The buyer decided he did like the 5 speed more.
So, i came up with this for the final, im happy with it...and im also very happy that the new owner is happy

I think it looks 1000X better now. it even rode like it was a brand new bike
IMG_4363.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

IMG_4365.jpg

IMG_4366.jpg

IMG_4367.jpg

cant see them

Back