Schwinn 4 reflector rear rack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
A few months ago I purchased a 4 reflector from another menber on this site. Cleaned up the small amount of surface rust so not it looks pretty good. Question I have has anyone ever removed the four reflectors to clean and or paint them as they are really faded. Do not want to destroy or damage them. Have thought of apply a little heat to rack to hopefully soften glue holding them on, but afraid to mess them up. Thinking of just masking off rack and the actual reflectors and just spraying the outside to brighten them up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Man, I just went through this....same rack. I took a pair of channel locks and a rag for a lil cusion and lightly started twisting them. This netted me one removed. I thunk about it and got out my heat gun, and using the same gentle touch with the channel locks I removed the rest undamaged. Hope this help you.

Thanks Dave, that is what I tried when I first recieved rack. Thought about heat then put rack away to finish other projects. Now getting close to working on this thought I would ask for suggestions. If I can ask where on rack did you start applying heat, my thought is about 2-3 inches from reflectors. Really want to be careful due to cost of replacements. Some on EBAY that are more than I paid for rack. Will give a shot later this week. Thanks again my friend.

Last edited:
I hear ya, $80 bucks for 4 NOS on ebay, figured id paint mine white! Mine seemed to come off as if they were threaded, twisting counter clockwise gave me the best results. I applied the heat to the reflectors themselves, I was thinking they would expand before the metal and i didnt want the metal to expand. I wasn't too careful with the heat and mine seemed to take it well... Good luck bro!

Dave finally got around to working on the reflector tips today, been busy with a 1965 Schwinn American for a co-workers girlfriend. Got son new heatgun out decided that I would try heating rack upright behind tip. Heated for less than 10 seconds and twisted off by hand no problem. Maybe I just got lucky but as little as that seems to happen I will take it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back