Schwinn Legacy? Anyone tried one?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking for a Cruiser to make a project out of. I looked into the Huffy at Walmart but none of my local stores carries it. I stopped in to a local Target today and they have a "Schwinn Legacy". Anyone seen or heard about these. The reviews arent good about the rear hub but Im looking for info from people that actually maintain their stuff.

http://www.target.com/Schwinn-Legacy-Cr ... tailbutton

Yeah thats why Im not taking to heart the reviews. I know the quality isnt the same, just trying to decide if the Schwinn is better than the Walmart Huffy?

I ride one of these all the time. It is my "I don't really care if this bike gets stolen" bike. Free gift from a friend.

zkpu2w.jpg

The frame is of OK quality. Not great. I thought I would kill the frame over one riding season, but it keeps on ticking. The Hi-Stop coaster brake died pretty quick. Never opened it up.

If you can score one on clearance for $30 - $40, maybe it is OK. Again, not great. You should be able to find better stuff on CL for less money. Look around at a local resale shop. Remember, garage sale season is coming!

In short, unless there is an extreme shortage of frames in Washington, you can do better. Heck, if I lived closer, I'd give you a frame to tinker with.

if you are looking for a super basic cruiser to play with i guess for the money it is not bad. but it is not really a schwinn at all

Thanks for the info guys. I check Craigslist daily and there is by far a shortage of Cruisers in Washington. One problem is the hours I work, by the time I usually get home the bikes are either sold or pending. I have some frame ideas that I wanted to do that is why I was looking for a complete. Ill probably grab one or the other with the understanding that I will have to replace alot of parts. Again.. thanks for all the info guys

i have the huffy with a motor on it .not too bad for the price but the hubs are week on all china bikes i have worked oh

Coaster hubs have pretty much gone same-same junk since the late '60's IMO. If you get one, open the hubs, check the bearing cages, clean and pack with REAL grease. Helps a lot. I bought a "Windwood" a year or so ago, it was noticeably better than the Huffy (also more expensive). I don't know about the "Legacy". I've seen some other "Schwinn" labeled stuff at Target that was clearly not as good.

Latest posts

Back