Schwinn Serial Number Tid-Bit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Everyone knows Schwinn didn't use the letter "I" in their serial numbers. I'm told because it looks like a "1". This is true for the 50's through the 70's (and maybe beyond) but it is not true before that.

In fact, I believe the "I" prefix was the last one used before production was halted in 1941 because of the war. And, I also think the "I" prefix was also the first one used after the war. I've had the proof for 20 yrs. but never paid much attention to the serial numbers until the other day.

Being good frugal Germans, why wouldn't they use up the prewar BB's (bottom brackets) since they are exactly the same as post war. Those prewar BB's used after war may have already been stamped with the "I" serial number in '41.

Here's my restored '41 DX. It was original and near complete with all the one-year-only '41 parts when I found it. Frame graphics, tank graphics, curve of the down tube and painted bird wing chainguard. No doubt it's a '41.

Here's the serial number of the DX.

This is a standard post war balloon tire frame. The frame broke where the down tube meets the head tube and someone re-welded it. They changed the geometry of the frame when they welded it and a tank will no longer fit. That's why I never used it and had it stored away. I think this is one of the first post war Schwinn balloon frames.

Here's the serial number. I got far enough back that you can see the post war welded on kickstand tube. Gary

Interesting! I knew about the prewar 'I' code, but never have seen a postwar example. It makes perfect sense, though. I have an 'I' coded '41 New World.

Wouldn't surprise me, I have schwinn that is a prewar frame with a post war number. I was told in 46 they was using up their prewar stuff before starting with new stuff. Which makes sense to me.

Back