schwinn something?.... i need a head badge

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an old schwinn frame and based on the serial number it was made August of 1950.
the number is g27197.
my problem is that it doesnt have a head badge and i dont know the model. can anyone give me a clue to that?

El Duderino said:
I bought an old schwinn frame and based on the serial number it was made August of 1950.
the number is g27197.
my problem is that it doesnt have a head badge and i dont know the model. can anyone give me a clue to that?

pics would be helpful, also the serial could also be 1952 if the number is on the left dropout and not the BB. The 1950 would be on the bb shell and have one more number.

http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101 ... odes1.html

here it is. if anyone has just a plain for that would fit id be psyched. this is just going to be a cheap build. headtube is a hair inder 5.5 inches
untitledshoot-2813.jpg

yah looks prewar to me ; thats known as a DX frame .very cool ! measure the distance between the mounting holes for the badge.,

That's a prewar DX Schwinn frame. Nice find! Repop tanks are available. They were made (prewar) in '39, '40, and '41. Each year had a diffent shaped front downtube. Yours looks to be a '41, just like mine. Gary
ADX004.jpg

thats sweet. i wonder why when i looked up serial number it gave me 1950. o well. older is cooler.
the badge holes are about 2.5 inches apart. what head badges would this have come with?

i also just found somewhere that they made the dx frame up until 1952?

i think it was prolly like this if it was branded as a Schwinn.. in 46' they changed rear dropouts to the new style.. :roll:

!B-V8eKg!Wk~$(KGrHqF,!lkEy+jC1OjmBM8bie1jo!~~_3.JPG

El Duderino said:
thats sweet. i wonder why when i looked up serial number it gave me 1950. o well. older is cooler.
the badge holes are about 2.5 inches apart. what head badges would this have come with?

i also just found somewhere that they made the dx frame up until 1952?

On bikes older than 1948 you need to use reference to other, known year bikes,
or pull out the crank to look for a date stamp on it. Doing both is a good idea.
All serial number records before 8/18/1948 were lost in a factory fire.

as quoted from http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101 ... odes1.html

If it didn't come with the crank still in it then you're kinda left guessing or compare it to other known year bikes.

El Duderino said:
thanks. now to build it up original or make a clunker? i dont have a mountain bike

Well if you do build a mountain bike out of it I wouldn't do any serious jumping or thrashing on it, remember it is almost 60 years old and those drops look like they might break. I've never owned one but just a gut feeling that'd be the first thing to go.

Back