Scratchy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Porkchop, you made me go shop for parts I don’t need. Haha
Haha!! Porkchop is great! I'd really rather go to my old bike shop where I used to buy most of my parts, MobyDick Bikes in Santa Clara but they closed down recently. 😟 But Porkchop has great parts, great prices and free shipping starts at $39 I think. Plus they ship within 24 hours of the order. Top notch business, I'll definitely be using them a lot!!

Haha!! Porkchop is great! I'd really rather go to my old bike shop where I used to buy most of my parts, MobyDick Bikes in Santa Clara but they closed down recently. 😟 But Porkchop has great parts, great prices and free shipping starts at $39 I think. Plus they ship within 24 hours of the order. Top notch business, I'll definitely be using them a lot!!
I’ve been buying from Justin at Porkchop for years and his customer service is above any other. I’d love to shop at a local bike shop but my closest is 50 miles.

I found some logos from the bike shop I frequented as a kid. Good memories. They were a skate shop as well. My buddy Alex, with the 442 Olds, raced BMX for their team and worked there as well.
Moby Dicks Bikes 1.jpg
Moby Dicks Bikes 2.jpg

I cleaned and serviced the rear wheel today. It was pretty gunky.
IMG_1415.JPG

Found a bunch of cracking in the drive side cup. That makes this wheel even more temporary than before. Anyone have a rear wheel they want to sell? The hub doesn't spin smooth even after cleaning and greasing.
IMG_1416.JPG

I got the cranks and rear wheel in the frame and the chain line looked off big time. It was.
IMG_1417.JPG
IMG_1418.JPG

The rear triangle is off to the left quite a bit. I'll get after that the next time I work on this one.

You can see in this pic how far the rear triangle had been pushed to the left.
IMG_1432.JPG

I got it straightened out and the chain line is much better now. Stays on and everything.
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG

As a refresher this is how it looked the day I got it.
65343810749__86967FC6-D090-4188-B930-6C6784515BDD.JPG

I got the rest of the bike mostly assembled. I just need to order a new brake lever as this one isn't going to work and I don't like it. Here is how it sits at the moment.
IMG_1436.JPG
IMG_1437.JPG
IMG_1438.JPG

I rode it around a bit just using the foot brake. It's pretty fun, feels like an old friend. There are some minor differences in parts but the overall look and feel of the bike is just like the one I had in high school. So far I'm chalking this one up as a win. After I get the brake working I'll be able to really ride it. See if I can learn to wheelie down the block like I used to. I've got a gyro on the way so it should be fun learning to do bar spins. I am loving this thing!
IMG_1441.JPG

That is a fantastic turnaround for the old bike. Looks great, makes you feel the feels again, win win!
Thanks Matti. I'm pretty stoked on it right now. Looking forward to having a functioning brake. It's going to be a sweet camp bike too and won't take up too much space in the truck. Now, back to klunker-ville... 👍

Wow! I just got caught up on your build. Talk about from 0 - 60 in 6.5 seconds!

Everything really works well together, and has it's own flavor at the same time. The stance, mix of anodized colors and that brilliant chrome you brought to life. Really impressive!

Keep those progress posts and photos coming!

You can see in this pic how far the rear triangle had been pushed to the left.
View attachment 213053

I got it straightened out and the chain line is much better now. Stays on and everything.
View attachment 213055View attachment 213054

As a refresher this is how it looked the day I got it.
View attachment 213060

I got the rest of the bike mostly assembled. I just need to order a new brake lever as this one isn't going to work and I don't like it. Here is how it sits at the moment.
View attachment 213056View attachment 213057View attachment 213058

I rode it around a bit just using the foot brake. It's pretty fun, feels like an old friend. There are some minor differences in parts but the overall look and feel of the bike is just like the one I had in high school. So far I'm chalking this one up as a win. After I get the brake working I'll be able to really ride it. See if I can learn to wheelie down the block like I used to. I've got a gyro on the way so it should be fun learning to do bar spins. I am loving this thing!View attachment 213059
Man, so rad!

Maybe this weekend. I got the gyro and need to get it installed, then I'll have a functional brake. We've actually been getting a bunch of rain and snow which makes riding less appealing but at least fire season is over!! :113:
I missed that you were doing a gyro

I missed that you were doing a gyro
I also needed a compatible brake lever. I didn't pay enough attention when I ordered the gyro on the 'bay and it shipped from Malaysia. But all the parts are here now so I just need to make some time. Hopefully this weekend. I've got a bunch of winterizing to do and some gutter repair.

Latest posts

Back