Scurf

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1659450815005.png

While waiting for the brown tape to show up, I'm going to try the brown twine method on my cane. The cane was advertised as made of dark exotic wood, from the Philippines. But when the handle came loose I took it back for repair and it was a light colored wood painted or dyed to look like dark wood. So I sanded it down, mixed up some paint and will let it dry. Then tomorrow I'll make the bamboo rings with the twine, maybe 4 or 5 loops each and then use some wood glue to secure the ends. Then a few coats of clear and it should look like a bamboo cane. If it looks good enough, I'll do the same with Scurf. I got some new vinyl woodgrain for the workbench also.
04 Aug cane1.jpg

04 Aug cane2.jpg

04 Aug cane3.jpg

The twine went on fine, and I used Elmer's white glue to hold it, then painted over the twine, it was a touch too dark. Then a little of that same paint lightly painted on then rubbed, and it's ready for clear coat. So far it looks like I was hoping it would, so I'll probably go ahead and do Scurf up the same way.
05 Aug paint.jpg

After 3 coats of clear, the cane looks like bamboo to me. So I should have the frame done in a day or two. I've been gluing on the twine. With all the welds, I have to use pieces in some areas as they won't wrap around.
06 Aug cane.jpg

06 Aug frame.jpg

Love how the cane came out. You could even use some twine to do some lashing at any of the tubing joints.

1659754769590.png

That's what the twine was for at first. I've had a plan to make a 10' trellis to put out front of the house using bamboo lashed together. I just need ten 10' pieces of bamboo. I'll see how that looks when the frame gets clear. The lashing should look real if it's a different texture from the rings.

I tried to get it all together. The bracket for the brake needs to be redone, it was too big. I also had to attach the fender brace to the forks differently. There wasn't enough axle width for the kickstand and brace. Once that's done it should be ready for a ride.

08 Aug mockup.jpg

I'm loving this more and more.
Excellent redo on the bamboo look man!!!

I got the brake hooked up and put the fender with magnet on. Looking at it again, the fender won't get it, I'm going to run without it. I also attached a bell that will be foot activated. When the rain stops I'll give it a test ride.

08 Aug minus fender.jpg

08 Aug bell.jpg

WC that turned out great! The deck feels likes it's asking for some kind of artistic treatment. Maybe a Philippine native fabric print design? Not overpowering, but something that would work with the bam-faux-boo look.

WC that turned out great! The deck feels likes it's asking for some kind of artistic treatment. Maybe a Philippine native fabric print design? Not overpowering, but something that would work with the bam-faux-boo look.
I've been thinking about what the board could use. I could do some fake woodgrain like I've seen on bamboo cutting boards.

1660031538938.png

But for it to hold up it would need a few coats of clear, and that might make for a slippery surface. If I use shoe polish like I've seen done to darken wood, then it might work.
I could also do a fake bamboo trim around the perimeter of the board. Or paint it to look like 10 pieces of bamboo lashed together. I could get some real bamboo and make something too.
I'm still on the fence.

The kick stand needed something so I made up a couple pieces of bamboo from some old thin tubing of a clothes rack. They will add the bamboo look and provide a footing for raising and lowering the stand.

09 Aug bamboo.jpg

Latest posts

Back