Sears badged Huffy "The Rail"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, could be a standard color coat thrown on all completed frames, and just covered up with more color for certain models. What I do know is that I've seen many old bikes over the years that had green or red under/over what I'm sure was original paint. :|

Re: Sears badged Huffy "The Rail"

I think the Sears version was called Gremlin, but don't quote me on that. Could be a repainted Sears with a Huffy guard, since I know they came in a two tone green-yellow. Could also be original paint with green primer and just a Sears badge. Maybe some muscle bike experts will check in.

Nice acquisition!

Very clean bike. Dig the Sears style black seat those Rails had too.

If I had to guess on the frame...they needed a purple frame and didn't have one, and had extra green.

I have a friend who recovers Persons banana seats, he tells me crazy stories about taking the originals apart and there is one type of seat UNDER the other, like a Schwinn Orange Krate seat under another cover, etc. Probably the same principle here, need a purple frame fast...paint a green one.

I owned a purple Coast King badged Huffy Rail in the past that had red paint under the purple. I would believe it's just a factory repaint. Kenny.

I think it was originally supposed to be a Slingshot build but was, like the others have said, used in a "Purple Rail Shortage" situation.

e4e36df952d160964fdf14959e329083f3874f7e_r.jpg

I have a purple Sears badged rail and it is painted blue under the purple. Someone told me that if the paint job at the factory got scratched or was a bad job they just repainted the frames. They had relatives that worked there. Cool Score.!!!

cman said:
Railrider should be able to answer your question about the paint. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5289

I have seen several Huffy Rails that were factory repaints. Still not sure why though, lol I had a lemon/lime fade Super Stock that was originally blue also. 8)

Latest posts

Back