Sears Monark

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craigs List find here in Sacramento posted as yard art. Meet the guy at Starbucks. He didn't say much other than be on time 5:00 sharp and $50.00 firm. He was a heavy equipment operator and uncovered the frame in the foothills on the job. No other history. That's the kind of people I like to deal with other than the firm part and the lack of more details, but it's all good. It took me a little while to ID. I was thrown off by the Sears Roebuck serial tag on the bottom bracket thinking it was a JC Higgins. The tear drop ring gear clued me in. Looks to be a late 40's early 50's Monark. I was hoping for a skip tooth pre war. No tell tale signs of a truss rod set up or springer on this one, big bummer! Not sure of the doo dad on the rear fender. How original is this? Info on when Sears worked with Monark? Please throw in your two cents. This may be my build off candidate. Headtube and bottom bracket solid, may be a problem! Is surgically removing the headtube and bottom bracket and replacing with like items in the same place and angles frame mods or an disqualifiable cut and hack?
RadiosMonark006.jpg
RadiosMonark008.jpg
RadiosMonark009.jpg
RadiosMonark010.jpg
Model # 505 269E Serial # A1433343
RadiosMonark011.jpg
RadiosMonark014.jpg
RadiosMonark015.jpg
RadiosMonark016.jpg
RadiosMonark005.jpg
RadiosMonark013.jpg
Looks like fork damage which may have sent this one to the grave.
RadiosMonark017.jpg

Yep, Monark built some JC Higgins' for Sears, but not many! Most I've seen were mid 50s. The model # isn't typical of what's in the catalogs, but I've never seen any Monark built bikes in them either! There were some Monark built Elgins too, but very few! -Adam

I've got what I think is the exact same bike. A Monark/Sears that came out of the woods. :lol: I was hunting mushrooms near an old farmhouse and found this frame and another one in a junk pile in a ravine behind the house. This is how it looked when I brought it home. Notice the little thingy on the rear fender like yours has.
IMG_1196.jpg

Here is the tag on the BB.
DSC03507.jpg

I took it apart, washed the frame with soap and water and cleared it. My fork was bent to so I straightened it. Put on an Elgin girls skip tooth ring and got rid of that 52 tooth monster. Greased, wheels and etc. and it's ready to ride. Gary
DSC03540.jpg

I had the same questions a few months ago when I found a Monark built Higgins. I had a bunch of people post some great information and I found it very helpful. Here is the link to my old thread if you would like to check it out.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22930

Nice bike! It has a good look to it :)

Back