Seeing a lot of bogus bike listings on ebay

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More stupid ebay posts from sellers who don't even have a clue what they're selling. Here is yet another one. We have computers now. Stuff is easy to research. The Huffy Sahara is OBVIOUSLY not from the '50's. It should be clear to see that this bike is from the '70's. I think the Sahara was made around '76, about the same time the Sun Country, Sierra, Timberline, and Escape were made. These bikes I believe were made in Dayton. Also, check that price! $200? He has a $40-$50 bike there. Attached is another photo from some site called OfferUp with yet another '70's Sahara posted as 1950's, and some poor sucker bought it for $350! Know what you're selling. Better yet, know what you're buying! It's probably not what you think it is.
Screenshot 2023-07-21 10.02.45 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-22 1.52.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-22 1.52.40 PM.png
    617.7 KB · Views: 0
First thing I look for is reflectors. Obviously not 100%, but offers a good clue if the bike is pre 70s. Anyone know what year reflectors became mandatory in the states?

First thing I look for is reflectors. Obviously not 100%, but offers a good clue if the bike is pre 70s. Anyone know what year reflectors became mandatory in the states?
The Consumer Product Safety Act of 1972 is the reason that reflectors appear on bicycle pedals by law. Soon after, front and rear reflectors were required and sometime later spoke reflectors were also required as well.

Barn find = curb find
Vintage = rusty crap
Like new = needs work
Needs work = basket case
"I know what I've got" = "I think it's more valuable than it really is!"
Pretty accurate

Is anyone else seeing these? Lately I have noticed a lot of sellers on ebay posting $200 Walmart beach cruisers for hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars, like this one. This guy's description says that this bike is from the 1950's and it belonged to his deceased grandfather and it has been stored for many years. Also that it is all original, nothing has ever been changed. This bike is obviously fairly new, and there are tons of obvious giveaways that it is a modern bike, to point out just a few, the gel seat for example (which also says Gel right on the seat) , the tube style forks and also the down tube is a dead giveaway. Not to mention many other things. I don't know if these sellers are actually that stupid, or just don't know anything about what they are even selling, or if these are some kind of scam. One of my friends thinks it's a scam, another one of my friends thinks that some people just don't know anything about bikes, and another friend just plain thinks it's hilarious.
View attachment 240562
same for sure.

When I see local ads on FB or CL that state “vintage” when the item is clearly newer, I usually chalk it up to people either not caring enough to use the proper terminology or simply aren’t educated or aware enough to express proper verbiage. To many people, the terms “vintage” or “antique” are interchangeable with terms like “retro” or “collectible” (kinda along the same lines as people who think all vintage bikes are Schwinns- I call this The Band-Aid Effect).
That said, there are lots of people who truly cannot tell the difference between something that is retro and made to look older (ie: the tin sign fad) and a real deal vintage item. I chalk this up to short attention spans and our throwaway society. People don’t know what anything old and well built even looks like anymore because everything is plastic and replaceable. We have to keep in mind that we lovers of antique items are kind of a niche population. There are plenty of other people who are quite aware of this though, and are more than willing to take full advantage of those with less knowledge. These are the people whom I think we’re dealing with here.
There are still others though. There’s a bike for sale local to me, a very good condition black ‘63 Schwinn Tiger, that has a price tag of $1,000. Sure, it’s a nice bike that has been parked in a basement for years after barely being ridden, and it’s got great original tires and near perfect chrome- but it’s still a single speed base model bike that was pumped out by the thousands. They don’t know what they have, they only know it’s a Schwinn and have dollar signs in their eyes. I can’t fault them, except for having not taken the time to actually research it. They just know they have a fancy lure and are hoping to land a big fish. This I attribute to laziness and greed, the most common thing we all run across.
This guy though… seems like kind of a combination of all of them with an extra dash of patience and pinch of stupid. If he waits long enough he may get what he wants, but in the meantime he’s got a small horse to move around and we get to laugh at him. Should we care enough to hate him? Maybe, but it’s a waste of time.
I see a lot of bikes on fb marketplace like the Schwinn Breeze for example that some people try to sell for like $200, which in reality is about a $40 bike. And, they are girls bikes as well which makes them automatically worth less money. People think that just because it says Schwinn on it that it's worth big bucks. Everybody these days are online. It's not difficult to research stuff. They're just lazy.

This is just an Ebay thing, ... in my opinion, it has nothing to do with "vintage" or "antique" or bicycles or vehicles. In every category, for just about every imaginable object, it's possible to find examples priced at 10x or 50x or 100x of the market price.

Why would somebody pay $2300 for one of these brand new beach towels, when they could find the same, or very similar for 1/80th of that price or less? https://www.ebay.com/itm/155088745153

Why would a seller price this outboard starter motor at $11,360, when they should be well aware that others are selling the same thing for less than $50? https://www.ebay.com/itm/404405303506

I can't explain it, but I noticed the phenomenon years ago, if not a decade. Presumably sellers are looking for a big payday, because somebody makes a mistake, but there could be other explanations. Fencing misappropriated funds, for example.

OBVIOUSLY this is not 1950's! This is a modern beach cruiser! You would think the tube forks, neck, allen head bolts, seat, down tube, etc. etc. would give it away to the seller that this is a modern Walmart type beach cruiser. The description says 'it's in really nice condition for it's age'. LOL! Yeah, because it's only about 5 years old! Are people really getting that dumb? Are they trying to scam a buyer? Or are they just too lazy to do some research and just assume that because it (sort of) looks '50's that it must be? The guy is trying to sella $50 bike for $600 ....!
Screenshot 2023-09-23 3.09.33 PM.png

Contact the sellers like, this bike is no more than 10 years old. Most of the time nothing will happen. I saw a tank for sale on eBay listed as unknown brand. I sent a message telling what it was from. Never responded, never updated the listing. 🤷🤦

Contact the sellers like, this bike is no more than 10 years old. Most of the time nothing will happen. I saw a tank for sale on eBay listed as unknown brand. I sent a message telling what it was from. Never responded, never updated the listing. 🤷🤦
Yeah I've had the same experiences on ebay as well. Most of the time though sellers on marketplace are a lot friendlier and will take your advice and will usually change the listing title.

Latest posts

Back