SEEKING ADVICE (HELP!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BIG HELLO TO ALL THE RATRODBIKERS! I NEED ADVICE, I STARTED MY FIRST RAT ROD OR CLASSIC BUILD. IT IS A SCHWINN????? I HOPE. I GOT THE WHOLE BIKE FOR $40 BUCKS OFF CRAIGS WONDERFUL LIST.

THE QUESTIONS ARE:

1. WHAT SITE IS BEST FOR LOOKING UP THE SERIAL NUMBER # TO CHECK THE YEAR?

2. IF THE WHEELS ARE NOT SCHWINN 26X1 3/8, BUT STILL 26X1 3/8, WHAT TIRES SIZES CAN I USE? OR AM I STUCK WITH S-6 TIRES ONLY?

3. DOES ANYONE MAKE A LAID BACK SEAT POST 13/16 IN SIZE?

4. HAS ANYONE RETRO-FITTED A 1 1/8TH HEADSET AND FORK IN A I" HEAD TUBE?

5. LAST ONE, I HAVE MY OLD STANDARD BIKES "STA" FRAME AND FORK I WOULD LIKE TO SELL IT BUT HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO ASK? ANY ADVICE ON THIS WOULD HELP ME AND MY BUILD OUT SO MUCH.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP AND THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE OR PERSON THAT PUT RATRODBIKES.COM ONLINE.

THANK YOU, MIKE-

#1 Here. We have lots of schwinn buff's that will be sure to help.

#2 26x1 3/8 tires (many places still carry them.)

#3. I'm sure you can find one, but modern layback seat posts, don't seem to be as laid back.
If ya want 90* cut the one you have (just cut a wedge shape and fold)
then weld or have it welded back together.
#4. yup just did it myself.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 21&t=28257
"whats that you said? is that a 1" threadless headset on an old schwinn frame? how does he do such wonderful things you say
well todays your lucky day, i'm gonna tell ya.
ya use your dremel to take a little off the race, a little off the headtube (inside)
ya throw the race in the freezer, torch the head tube and very very gently, ya beat the heck out of it with a hammer (and a block of wood to protect your investment.) "

#5. sorry not sure what to tell ya.

btw Stop yelling (capitals) :wink:

HEY! THANKS ICYOUD2 THAT IS A BIG HELP! WHY DOES EVERYONE THING I'M YELLING! OH, WELL! TIME TO GO PUT IN MY HEARING AIDS!

no problem, welcome to the forum.
Forum edicate- using all capital letters is often saved for those occasion's when your feeling ornery. :)

Back