Selling a wheel set

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are times when you find you have a set of wheels and really have no use for them. They are kinda like rabbits, all of the sudden you look around and they are everywhere. So you run them in the For Sale section thinking someone that has a frame and no wheels could use them. Then comes that big question. ARE THEY TRUE? Now this term is really open to ones opinion and expectations . I see old sets of alloy rims that are just as true as the day they were born. Some are original sets that have been on a bike for 20 30 years are in so so shape. If you have ever laced a set of rims, you will find you can spend a bunch of time getting them right. Now cruiser right and road bike right are a pretty good distance apart. Sometimes you really get them right to find a cruiser tire isn't that true either. You put it on and the silly thing will wobble. I think most people will try to get them close and move on. I try for as close as I can get within reason. If they are going on a race bike with rim brakes then they have to be a little better. If its a cruiser then really close is good enough for me. Trying to buy 30 year old rims for $20, that haven't been respoked and expecting road bike true is kinda unrealistic. :wink:

I agree with your statement. I dont mind a little wobble in my rims as long as they dont hit anything when the are spinning is fine with me. and I have seen some rims that are all out of shape and by tightening some spokes spin pretty true.

I laughed out loud here at the computer when I read the comment about them being like rabbits :mrgreen: My dog looked at me like I lost my mind...........he's right on that thought :wink: I've got rims in the basement, here by the computer, in the dining room, one of the upstairs bedrooms, back porch, down stairs bathroom, garage, back yard, back of my truck and at work by my tool box. I think it's becoming a problem :D

I should mention that I'm going with Nate tomorrow to see if we can find some more :shock:

Back