selling New Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this trend too, for the most part there are normally 2 sets of people doing it.

One is people who are selling new Walmart bikes for MORE than what they paid preying on people who don't know any better.

Two are groups of people who break into the storage containers and gardening centers behind Walmart and steal bikes to sell.

outskirtscustoms said:
I have seen this trend too, for the most part there are normally 2 sets of people doing it.

One is people who are selling new Walmart bikes for MORE than what they paid preying on people who don't know any better.

Two are groups of people who break into the storage containers and gardening centers behind Walmart and steal bikes to sell.

What would happen if someone bought that 80 buck Onyx and took it to Wally to get the 150 its worth? If there was a problem the buyer can tell where he bought it.

The buyer can say "I bought it off some dude named Jerry on Craigslist. We met in a parking lot, and the number from the ad is tied to a prepaid cell phone, and cannot be traced to anyone." And Walmart can say "no refund for you, buddy." But, they know they'll never find Jerry, nor will they ever recoup their expenses. They might come after the buyer, for having received stolen goods... but that'd likely be fruitless, and indicative of poor customer service.

Heres the big secret. Are you ready?
Guys like me go to these places called auctions and buy last years discontinued models for less than a quarter of store price.
Then , people like me, put them on craigslist for $20 to half off of whatever new price was. We are called hustlers, flippers, etc.

I also buy new bikes from the scrapyard. It all depends on what the store wants done. Some send old stuff to auction,(Becoming more common) some to scrap, some just garbage.

If the seller wont give a bill of sale and show you their id for proof that ts them , then you have something to be suspicious about.

Sure there is thieves but you have to think, law enforcment watches craigslist. If bulk new bikes were being stolen, selling them on any website would be stupid. Thieves will get caught doing stuff like that. 75% of the population automatically assumes the worst because they want something to gossip about instead of asking the owner/seller a simple question. Assuming is a big part of whats wrong with neighborhoods like mine today.

Assume someone stole something , has something of someones, looked at your stuff or them wrong, something happened, assume someone is not ignorant enough to go off the deep end over some words. If you do you may assume the very wrong thing . In my neighborhood jumping to conclusions can get you put in a coffin . Ive learned not to jump to conclusions to fast.

Ill tell you what i pay for a bike and i tell you what i want for it if a person asks. Either way the bike is mine and what i want for it is what i want. Most people dont want to buy 30-50 new bikes at a time to get them cheap . I have storage and time so i can.

If you have never worked in the back of a big store, it might amaze you how many thousands of dollars go in the trash compactors a day. Ive bought truckloads of new bikes at a time from scrapyards. Some mint. Some cut in half.
The stuff that makes it to auction goes cheap, in bulk lots.

I personally have bought and sold over 200 new bikes on craigslist. All with store tags, barcodes, and prices on them. Unlike wally world, i tighten every bolt, grease them, and straighten the forks around.

As for trying to take one back to a store, thats a scam and theft . They were never really purchased from the store even though they have tags on them. They were sold through a auction for the stores.

Hmmmm, never thought of that. I only mentioned theft because there were some people in Kokomo caught doing just that and selling them on Craigslist.

All I gotta say is, we've all seen WallyBikes being sold above msrp on Craigs-- profiteers off of fad bikes, like the Beast. We've also seen WallyBikes for cheap, and it's naive to think that some of these aren't stolen. The Scenario that bitsnpieces describes probably occurs too, but that seems like a slow, obnoxious grind to make just a few bucks. The thought of selling a $125 bike for $75 to Craigslist loonies 30 times is enough to drive me nuts...

Back