Several decent finds to keep me busy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Guys, I've been away from the forum for a little while but I've been visiting some recently. It is very "Slim Pickin's" in my town for an American made cruiser. I searched Craigslist day and night for over a year. Suddenly I got six bikes from 3 sellers. I'd love to share the pics so I'll post them separately and comment on each.

Thanks again for the great website and friendly community, Mick

file_zps8038eda1.jpg

Maybe a murray. It has those winged dropouts like my old JC Higgins. So far Iv'e decided to keep it pretty much as is. I like looking at it. The previous owner carved his name on every part to deter theft. It has also been engraved " No Resale".

file_zpsd58fbd28.jpg

Unknown make. Maybe I can get some ID help when I show the chain guard. It's very heavy and rides great. I straightened the basket and one fender. I added a new chain, matching used heavy duty whitewalls, a leather hub-shiner, a distressed Harley Davidson tool bag, more correct pedals, a piece of swing set chain and a brass lock. I'll show a newer pic sometime.

file_zpsd119cbe3.jpg

24" wheels. This is the third and final bike from this one seller. Probably not American made. He first offered me the chain from this one to put on the black one (Black Beauty, She's known as now). I declined that offer but while loading the first two, he offered me this one for free, so OK. Tossed the seat and tried to sell it in the front yard for $20 for several days but failed. Realized I would probably love to have that chain ring one day so i pulled the sale. Finally kept the chain ring, crank, wheels and rack. Tossed the rest. If the chrome wheels, fenders and bars were not painted and the tires were not rotten, I'd keep her and fix her.

file_zps6566c90e.jpg

Labeled Sears with a nice head badge and stenciled chain guard. I checked out this bike for the wheels. I needed them for the silver yard art baskets bike. Got this one home and started loving it just like it is. My wife rode it several times and so did I. I later put it out front for $60 and then $50. Gave up after 4 days and put it back in the shed content.

file_zpsa1f7f675.jpg

Went to look at the Sears Lady and came home with this one too. I made an offer on the Lady and / or both. He went to present the offer to his mother inside and I was hoping she'd say no. Well heck, They took my offer. It's too big and too much work. Now that it's clean and tuned with new tires, we like it a lot. Wife, kids and grandkids all love it.

file_zps11a13aa4.jpg

This 1980 was offered on craigslist so I drove about 30 miles to see it. It had one real bad tire and one OK tire. The S-7 tires lowered my interest but we kept talking until we were both happy. I was concerned about actually finding tires to fit it. I got a good set of Sunlite / Kenda tires on ebay for a real good price. It cleaned up pretty good and I'm still working on that. That is a light mark shining through the fence on the seat. The seat cleaned up pretty good too. Still gotta straighten the fork. The grips are a little bad but still very comfy to ride. That's a speedo bracket at the stem bolt. I might need a front reflector but not sure when I'll actually mount it 'cause they don't look cool right?

I'm interested in learning more about Schwinn tire sizes and options. I'm also interested in replacing the correct hand grips if I find some in my price range. I might also replace the correct bars with less rust around the hill pumping grip area.

Latest posts

Back