Shifter Knob Swap

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I think that the "T" handle shifter knob on the Shimano shifters looks a little bit cheap. I haven't had one yet that I have kept stock. I found a new knob I liked but it's for a car. So here is how to swap it out.
First I heated up the knob with a heat gun and pulled it off with a pair of vise grips.
1123141145.jpg

The shifter knob comes with several plastic inserts. I picked the one that fit the shift rods top. This shifter was about 3 inches deep so I also used another smaller insert to help fill the void.
1123141150.jpg

1123141150a1.jpg

Once they were inserted I inserted the collar and used the supplied allen head screw to lock it in place. Slide the assemble over the shift rod. The collar on this has set screws at 3 locations around the base and I was able to center and secure the shift knob in place.

1123141152.jpg

1123141202.jpg

I layed some rags down to protect the chrome on handle bars and sissy bar, flipped the bike upside down, then moved the shifter by the rod to level it. I used painters tape and taped up the knob and although not shown taped the shift rod as well. This prevents the J.B. Weld from accidental droppage on the shift knob.
1123141532.jpg

Next I mixed up the J.B. Weld with a 1/4 inch wide popsicle stick and once mixed started feeding it down the cavity of the shifter knob. I ended up using almost all of the tubes of J.B. Weld. Keep adding until it levels out. I removed the tape and just let it cure. This is such a thick application it may take more drying time than listed on the instructions.
1123141604a.jpg

Latest posts

Back