Shimano three speed coaster cable replacement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Don't know what I'm doing, gonna do it anyway.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I just dug through my parts stash and found an old three speed hub, how do I install a cable so I can make sure it shifts proper.

It has an end like this.
b5dd2e9098f5d57f930db941219415d5.jpg

Does it come apart and lock the cable in place?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

I had a 3 speed shimano with a hookup like that. It's hard to explain, a pic works better:

Here's a vid on shimano 3 speed.

Last edited:
I had a 3 speed shimano with a hookup like that. It's hard to explain, a pic works better:

Here's a vid on shimano 3 speed.

Hey, thanks Wildcat.

Does your hub have a bellcrank, like shown in the video, or does it have a small chain? That style of barrel adjuster can be found on either type, but the adjustment procedure is slightly different.
hqdefault.jpg

Does your hub have a bellcrank, like shown in the video, or does it have a small chain? That style of barrel adjuster can be found on either type, but the adjustment procedure is slightly different.
hqdefault.jpg
It has a bellcrank

On most older shimano 3 speed hubs, there's no port for oil. What I do is take out the shift rod and add light machine oil, into the axle hole. Then I install and push the rod a few times to work the oil in. That seemed to get most of the inner gears working well.

This one has an oil port, so I'm guessing it's late 70's/early 80's. It also has a plastic protective cover on the bellcrank. I took the push rod out and the oil looks clean, and the mechanism works fine. I just haven't hooked it to a chain to see if it shifts.

Latest posts

Back