Shop Open, Not Done, But Open

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Natrona Heights, PA- 20 Miles NE of Pittsburgh
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally got the shop open. Still waiting for some cabinets and some other little things to finish. There is a lot of things I still need to stock, but I wanted to at least get the doors open and try to sell some stuff. I don't really have much for the rat rodders. My son has the BMX and skateboard stuff covered pretty much. We may end up going heavy into the BMX side. There is a local track and no shop. I contacted them and they seam very interested in having a place stocked with the race parts they need.

We ended up with the Fuji and SE bikes. We have added 2hip, stolen and will have Redline next week. We also have Kink, FBM, and Eastern available.
DSCI0180.jpg

DSCI0176.jpg

DSCI0177.jpg

DSCI0174.jpg

[imghttp://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/michaelscycles/DSCI0175.jpg][/img]
DSCI0181.jpg

Good idea combinging the skate and bike stuff, I havent seen it done before here, and now im wonderin why no one hasnt!

Good looking shop, all the best with it! :D

don't worry, you'll have all winter to take care of the details :D way to go!

looks great! definitly looks like a new shop! bet it still has that new shop smell. :D i think you should build some rats and put them out front.

Some of the bmx stuff will be of interest to any ratrodders that come around. Not treating them like idiots for having something other than a top shelf road bike will probably bring you some tire/tube, chain type dollars. Good luck! :wink:

Thats cool man best of luck!! some advice, take it or leave it , I use to skateboard and I hated buying skateboards with logos / graphics because they cost twice as much as blanks. You could buy blanks in bulk .. different sizes for cheap and different colors, stock up on those!! You could also get the locale graffiti / art guys involved and have them custom paint decks for you as shop decoration, you could get the decks for free...if someone comes in with a skateboard, offer them a small discount on the new skateboard deck if they leave you the old one :D win win..

i knew a few local shops that sold used bikes for people for either a flat rate for floor space or just take a percentage, you might want to look into that if you have the room. or just buying used bikes yourself to resell. . not everyone wants to spend a lot for a bike, but i know i'd pay to make sure it was tuned up and riding sound

WhiteShadow said:
i knew a few local shops that sold used bikes for people for either a flat rate for floor space or just take a percentage, you might want to look into that if you have the room. or just buying used bikes yourself to resell. . not everyone wants to spend a lot for a bike, but i know I'd pay to make sure it was tuned up and riding sound

Selling used bikes is a problem. Insurance companies don't want the liability. When I was first planning the shop, I was thinking about just used bikes. When I tried to get insurance, they said "No Way". I couldn't even get a policy if I wanted to do only repairs. If I sold new bikes and 25% or less of our total sales were repairs, then it wasn't a problem. I guess I could sell other peoples bikes if they wanted, not sure.

michaelscycles said:
WhiteShadow said:
i knew a few local shops that sold used bikes for people for either a flat rate for floor space or just take a percentage, you might want to look into that if you have the room. or just buying used bikes yourself to resell. . not everyone wants to spend a lot for a bike, but i know I'd pay to make sure it was tuned up and riding sound

Selling used bikes is a problem. Insurance companies don't want the liability. When I was first planning the shop, I was thinking about just used bikes. When I tried to get insurance, they said "No Way". I couldn't even get a policy if I wanted to do only repairs. If I sold new bikes and 25% or less of our total sales were repairs, then it wasn't a problem. I guess I could sell other peoples bikes if they wanted, not sure.

That sucks, I doubt it would even be an issue in the UK, a lot of bike shops here sell secondhand bikes although they usually want twice as much as what I'd pay for one. Are there any work-around solutions like selling bikes "on behalf of a customer"?

BTW, I don't know what the shop looks like now but I'm thinking that the front of the store -maybe outside- needs some sort of WOW eye-catcher like a cool vintage bike or an ornamental bike rack.

Latest posts

Back