Shop organization tips

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Don't know what I'm doing, gonna do it anyway.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Well, this came up recently so I thought I'd start a thread. Feel free to add you tips and advice.
Here's mine.

We all know you can't have to many cabinets or shelves for smaller parts. But what about the frames?
Where to put those?

This is what I do.
5474e76b37eae49308127cad3fdb14ac.jpg

I use those big L brackets, the ones you buy to make shelves. These can hold 4, maybe 5 frames.
Just screw them to a wall stud, and hang your frames.
92bbc809bc16251d0d439e9373a421e3.jpg

ac893dda4fb8882faeee905ba7543723.jpg

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

It's gotta work better than my system...
Spread everything you have over the whole garage.
Add liberal amounts of carpentry, plumbing and electricians tools and parts, along with every scrap of wood, drywall, and pipe you have left over from projects. Then push it all back towards the walls, so that you have a minimal amount of floor space. Also, swap good fluorescent tubes for iffy ones to enhance the lighting effects. Used appliances car parts and camping/fishing gear are bonus...

Merle. :crazy:

Add liberal amounts of carpentry, plumbing and electricians tools and parts, along with every scrap of wood, drywall, and pipe you have left over from projects. Then push it all back towards the walls, so that you have a minimal amount of floor space. Also, swap good fluorescent tubes for iffy ones to enhance the lighting effects. Used appliances car parts and camping/fishing gear are bonus...

Yea, there's a reason I didn't make a video.

That's hilarious this sounds just like my garage LOL . It takes all day or more to try and clean it up & by the end of the week looks like I never did a thing .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A dedicated tool area is necessary-- that is a place where the tools can hang up or sit on the bench, and always go back there without being crowded out.

My issue is that I do my re-builds in a 1940s-era cinder block garage. My car has to be able to go in there when I'm done. I have a single, Black & Decker folding work table (the little one). My issue is tools get misplaced all the time because I never have anywhere to leave them permanently.

A dedicated tool area is necessary-- that is a place where the tools can hang up or sit on the bench, and always go back there without being crowded out.

My issue is that I do my re-builds in a 1940s-era cinder block garage. My car has to be able to go in there when I'm done. I have a single, Black & Decker folding work table (the little one). My issue is tools get misplaced all the time because I never have anywhere to leave them permanently.

I have a similar issue, I work on my bikes with the same tool kit I used in high school auto shop.
I've got an area to park my car, if I can keep it clear. Only problem is I have to climb over the hood to fit through.

I think I'll put a lot up for sale to make room.

I like the shelf, I make mine 2 feet wide and enough clearance to open car/truck doors underneath.

2x4 rectangle supported by 2x4 at 30 to 45 degree angle to the wall, supports have to land on wall studs. Deck it with osb. The shelf is layed out to fit rubbermaid tubs.

Use the ceiling for storage. Screw some unistrut (u shaped tube with holes) to the ceiling. All kinds of parts can be hung from it.

Latest posts

Back