SHOW US YOUR FREE BIKES!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thought it would be great to see all the bikes people get for free.
i'll start it off with this hampton cruiser frame and wheels i got from my LBS free pile (yes they always have a pile of parts that are completely free.... i like the free pile :wink: ). when i got it a couple of days ago it was a real wreck, it had obviously been neglected and left in the rain for a few years at least. but some after some de-rusting, new paint and part swapping it's got a new lease on life. the triple tree suspension fork was also a score from the free pile as was most of the other parts used. the only things that i paid for was the chainguard and tires but i've had those laying around for a while so i'm not really counting them. i'm sorry i didn't have the forethought to take a "before" pic but trust me it wasn't pretty.
so now let's see what you've stumbled across for free too!

PICT0133.jpg

didnt stumble across, rather built it for free(as in no money invested, just time, already had all the parts or scored them somehow).. :lol: hope it counts.
SANY0114.jpg

this one was completely free. garbaged picked the bike, swapped out the forks, bars, and seat. then painted it with what i had.
DSCN5891.jpg

DSCN5892.jpg

and with a fresh coat of paint:
DSCN5898.jpg

DSCN5897.jpg

Free ones
S5003263-1.jpg

Free, then did a gender change.
S5003282.jpg

More free, then a little work
S5003620.jpg

S5003619.jpg

And afew bmx'ers, mtb's and parts scored.

Last summer a guy was throwing this out on to the curb in my neighborhood and I asked if I could have it. That's what started this sickness 8)
P7110049.jpg

I didn't think to take "before" pics I was so new at this sorta thing. Needless to say, it was nowhere near what it looks like today :wink:

Got this one from a friend of my son's.The friend's dad was the original owner. The bike is now my son's and we've rigged it temporarily so that he can ride it sans the shifter (bought an old cheap BMX for the rims) and we've since polished, cleaned, waxed the frame and chrome. Hopefully later this summer we'll rebuild the SA 3 Speed and find appropriate tires ( S-5's and S-7's)
P3170100.jpg

A Lady at work brought this to me about a year ago, She and her husband were moving from their home that had been the home where he grew up. They found this in the garage. She asked if i wanted it? As always SURE!!!!!! She told me this was her husbands bike as a child.
S3600316.jpg
S3600319.jpg
S3600318.jpg
S3600317.jpg
So the past couple days took the time to clean it up a bit. The bike was 100% original from what i could tell down to the tires and tubes, which still hold air. 1963 Racer 2 speed
p_00037.jpg
p_00036.jpg
p_00035.jpg

the chrome one in front

Picture003-1.jpg

my brother used to live near church hill downs and someone he didn't even know rode this to his house and left it and went to the derby. he was gonna give it to my nephew but it was too big for him. so i made him a smaller bike and he gave it to me.

A 55-9ish Murray Mercury that was the prize of a huge pile of bikes I got for free in 1997!
adamtinkererscollection015.jpg
The rest were newer assorted junk, were donated to a mission project for West Virginia. They didn't have the time & manpower to fix them up, and the WV locals can't fix anything. According to the guy I got the bikes from, "if it's broke, they throw it in the river!" Getting those bikes reignited my love of bike tinkering, though it never got serious until 2005, when I discovered ebay! :lol: -Adam

my father-in-law tossed it out of his car trunk looking like this:
IMG_20100518_5987.jpg

IMG_20100518_5988.jpg

IMG_20100518_5989.jpg

and after two weeks, a few amazon gift cards, a few rattle cans, and some blood/sweat/head-scratching, it looks like this:
IMG_20100621_5998.jpg

IMG_20100621_6000.jpg

IMG_20100618_5995.jpg

Back