SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
41DX said:
Latest pickup. Schwinn jumped on the Klunker name for a very short period back in 1978:

downsized_0317021743.jpg

This has to be the heaviest bike I have ever owned. Thank goodness for aluminum wheels....

Sweet score! 8)

i cheated .. got a haro this bike is crazy light.. and tuff.. rode it down the stairs at state capitol
a couple of times before I got chased off...
DSCN0701.jpg

41DX said:
Latest pickup. Schwinn jumped on the Klunker name for a very short period back in 1978:

downsized_0317021743.jpg

This has to be the heaviest bike I have ever owned. Thank goodness for aluminum wheels....

nice find!

that picture should be a lesson for all those who parrot the conventional wisdom that '"schwinn went out of business because they were late getting into off road bikes"..... :wink:

i hope your car made it home ok.... :mrgreen:

thumbnailCA2GVWJL.jpg

...and my '38.

redone into more of a 'larkspur bomber' inspired build, with a tange fork replacing the generic chromed 'pyramid' brand unit, a sugino cromo opc in place of the tpc conversion, and 1" morrow equipped 7Xs replacing the mexican bendix/weinman AS7X combo...

P10001782bwg.jpg

:)

Bendix said:
41DX said:

downsized_0317021743.jpg

That picture should be a lesson for all those who parrot the conventional wisdom that '"schwinn went out of business because they were late getting into off road bikes"..... :wink:

They were late and that's why they got hit with a law suit two times. First was the california cruiser. They had to stop since there was a company in california using that name and therefore the california cruiser was only available for a few short months. Then they decided to use the klunker name and got hit again since there was another company using that name. Then they had to switch back to the spitfire name. The california cruiser and the klunker are so rare that are worth some real cash! Some might say that they are worth more than a black phantom!

axsepul said:
Bendix said:
41DX said:

downsized_0317021743.jpg

That picture should be a lesson for all those who parrot the conventional wisdom that '"schwinn went out of business because they were late getting into off road bikes"..... :wink:

They were late and that's why they got hit with a law suit two times. First was the california cruiser. They had to stop since there was a company in california using that name and therefore the california cruiser was only available for a few short months. Then they decided to use the klunker name and got hit again since there was another company using that name. Then they had to switch back to the spitfire name. The california cruiser and the klunker are so rare that are worth some real cash! Some might say that they are worth more than a black phantom!

that didn't really offer a counterpoint to my statement, it actually reinforced my point that they were offering mass produced, multi speed off road bikes as early as the 70's..... :)

Bendix said:
...and my '38.

redone into more of a 'larkspur bomber' inspired build, with a tange fork replacing the generic chromed 'pyramid' brand unit, a sugino cromo opc in place of the tpc conversion, and 1" morrow equipped 7Xs replacing the mexican bendix/weinman AS7X combo...

P10001782bwg.jpg

:)
frickin' sweet!

DSCN3669.jpg

(just posted elsewhere in gallery)

Oh yeah... 82' Columbia Clipper 21speed conversion trail bike. I call er' "Big Nasty" and looked like this before its recent "more power" redesign...

IMG_0731.jpg

3speed version I used to trail ride with, but cannot compete with the 2010 21speed drivetrain I frankensteined onto this one. This bike has been a single speed, 3speed (twice), 5 speed, 15 speed, back to a single speed and now a 21speed.

Thanks. It is a GT Enduro-7. The cousin of the Dyno Moto-7. Not too many of them out there. I love the way the top tube and middle tube are bent. Rat Rod had a really nice version of the Dyno. I went with more of a BMX look on this one. 8)

danreid27 said:
Rdig that's a cool frame! 8)

micha,
I've seen your bike on a few threads now...it's been thru some interesting evolutions! I like this new incarnation.

I rebuilt my worksman inb with some bmx components; been riding it like a klunk. Here's a trailside pic:
232323232%7Ffp6357%3A%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3C95289%3C934%3Anu0mrj

-rob

Latest posts

Back