SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
41DX said:
^^^^ This^^^

Or SA makes clamps in different diameters/shapes.

Yeah, they do... but none fat enough for landing gears. :shock: Someone on this site... I think it might be early on in this very thread... did some interesting ish with a seatpost clamp, but it involved drilling a hole in the brake arm....

Bicycle808 said:
41DX said:
^^^^ This^^^

Yeah, they do... but none fat enough for landing gears. :shock: Someone on this site... I think it might be early on in this very thread... did some interesting ish with a seatpost clamp, but it involved drilling a hole in the brake arm....

i saw that too and just finished mine. it turned out good, hopefully no flats though.

20130216_100147.jpg

20130216_100047.jpg

20130216_100225.jpg

20130216_100259.jpg

Another possibility would be to make a little bracket similar to the part of training wheels that goes around the stays to prevent rotation, that bolts to the holes in the drop-out on your fork. The wheel could then just slide out normally for service.

deorman said:
Another possibility would be to make a little bracket similar to the part of training wheels that goes around the stays to prevent rotation, that bolts to the holes in the drop-out on your fork. The wheel could then just slide out normally for service.

That would be eminently tricked-out.

someone oughta do just that.

fishcreek said:
Bicycle808 said:
41DX said:
^^^^ This^^^

i saw that too and just finished mine. it turned out good, hopefully no flats though.

20130216_100147.jpg

20130216_100047.jpg

20130216_100225.jpg

20130216_100259.jpg

Wow dude that's a hot set up - actually the whole bike looks awesome .

FYI: I don't think that anyone ever applied for a trademark on the word Klunkerz before I did the movie. The term Klunker had been used for the Klunker 5 by Schwinn, applied for in 1978. The guys in Marin, Gary F, Charlie K, et al. had a big conniption fit and fired-off letters to the Schwinn company saying they had no right to use the word, since they 'coined' the term. The Klunker guys in Marin didn't have the trademark on the term, Schwinn did, but Schwinn decided to let it drop and changed the name to the Cruiser 5. The Marin guys took that as a major victory. :mrgreen: Schwinn finally abandoned the trademark in 1986. Gary's company later applied for the term Klunker, in January of '97, when he did his reproduction bike (mine's on this thead, somewhere). It had lapsed just before I started production on the film. I decided not to apply for Klunker, just Klunkerz for the title. I have abandoned it since due to lack of funds and some guys are now making $500.00 messenger bags under the name Klunkerz, but they didn't trademark it. Ride on!

Beautiful. Love your bike, considered drilling a hole big enough for the brake cable thru the stem bolt, then running the cable, freestyle bmx so it never entangles in a "God forbid," crash?
fishcreek said:
Bicycle808 said:
41DX said:
^^^^ This^^^

20130216_100147.jpg

20130216_100047.jpg

20130216_100225.jpg

20130216_100259.jpg

thanks for the kind words guys 8) took it out for a spin today, finally warmed up to wear shorts. it was a blast to ride, the SE fork is way more comfortable than the stock fork which pretty much rattles your brain offroad. the SA coaster has a quicker response than KT, braking power and distance is pretty much the same though. the front drum needs more breaking in but impressive as it is.

20130223_144836.jpg

20130223_144908.jpg

Here's the bike, as delivered. I re-assembled it with the stock parts, just to see what all I got for my $65. Probably will sell the stock wheels, fork, crank, and maybe fenders.

6nt6d0.jpg

Here it is so far.

Parts used:
- generic Ebay cruiser/bmx fork
- Shimano E110/Weinmann rim wheelset from Niagra Bikeworks (via Ebay)
- Truvativ American->Euro BB adapter
- Sugoi single-speed crank and BB

16hsxtz.jpg

Not shown:
- Brooks B16 saddle
- Oury bmx grips, brown to match saddle
- retro BMX stem from PorkChop BMX

In the mail:
- aluminum seatpost form Genuine Bike Parts (same company that makes the RetroRyder headset)
- new headset from PorkChop BMX
- retro BMX bar and beartrap pedals from PlanetBMX

Probably should have spent some more time on Ebay and saved some money, but I was in an instant-gratification mood. $65 bike. $300 in parts. Doh! Should make a pretty sweet bar hopper when I'm done.

alistairSH said:
Here's the bike, as delivered. I re-assembled it with the stock parts, just to see what all I got for my $65. Probably will sell the stock wheels, fork, crank, and maybe fenders.

6nt6d0.jpg

Here it is so far.

Parts used:
- generic Ebay cruiser/bmx fork
- Shimano E110/Weinmann rim wheelset from Niagra Bikeworks (via Ebay)
- Truvativ American->Euro BB adapter
- Sugoi single-speed crank and BB

16hsxtz.jpg

Not shown:
- Brooks B16 saddle
- Oury bmx grips, brown to match saddle
- retro BMX stem from PorkChop BMX

In the mail:
- aluminum seatpost form Genuine Bike Parts (same company that makes the RetroRyder headset)
- new headset from PorkChop BMX
- retro BMX bar and beartrap pedals from PlanetBMX

Probably should have spent some more time on Ebay and saved some money, but I was in an instant-gratification mood. $65 bike. $300 in parts. Doh! Should make a pretty sweet bar hopper when I'm done.

Budget build gone bad - not an uncommon thing when it comes to bikes . Nice build so far

ok im gonna sound idiotic but i have to ask only because i wanna build one but what exactly is a klunker
from what i make their older frames with bmx pars no fender and single speed
im just kinda curious just because i wanna build one right
thanks
Sean

burrkrayecycles said:
ok im gonna sound idiotic but i have to ask only because i wanna build one but what exactly is a klunker
from what i make their older frames with bmx pars no fender and single speed
im just kinda curious just because i wanna build one right
thanks
Sean

its on the first page of this thread

Rat Rod said:
Okay...I'd like to create a Klunker gallery on our gallery page.

If you don't know what a Klunker is....watch this video...

http://www.klunkerz.com/trailer-1.html

And visit this site...

http://www.clunkers.net/

That should make it pretty clear what we're talking about here. :wink:

Latest posts

Back