Sid (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sid came to me without any brackets to hold the shifter in place. I was planning to fabricate what I needed but thanks to @CRASH I now have two original brackets along with two new bolts! :113:

IMG_6155.JPG

I put all of the moving parts back together today.

When I reassembled the Shimano 333 axel it seemed like there should be some type of seal or something to close off the freewheel. There was nothing there when I took it apart though.

IMG_6163.JPG

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I haven't found any schematics online yet.

When I reassembled the Shimano 333 axel it seemed like there should be some type of seal or something to close off the freewheel. There was nothing there when I took it apart though.

View attachment 248370

Does anyone have any knowledge about this? I haven't found any schematics online yet.
I'll check mine here and let you know

The seal for a Shimano 333 hub is on the hub itself. There is no seal for the freewheel. But the 333 freewheel access hole for the took is too small to get in there with the axle on it. Which means the axle must be removed, then the freewheel, to gain access to the seal (more of a dust cover, really) so it can be removed so the grease can be cleaned out and bearings replaced for an overhaul.

54FCA9FF-6353-4EE0-A27E-51F5AB90632C.jpeg

I got the tires mounted today. The rear tire is an early 70s Carlisle Jet Flyte slick that I picked up at an estate sale just around the block from where I live. It even has the original tube in it! I took it to a couple of swap meets this past year to sell before I had a need for it. Luckily no one bought it, so it found a home on Sid! The front is a new Kenda.
IMG_6165.JPG

The wheels are far from perfect, but considering what I started with, I'm very happy with them!
Wheels.JPG

Dumb question: Would a very light sanding, like 2000 grit, knock some exterior corrosion off the paint to reveal better color underneath, then a clear coat to seal it? Or do you think that paint is corroded throughout? My answer would be to repaint, so I've never tried one something like that.

@RustySprockets thanks!

@CRASH it has been a delicate balancing act to remove as much rust as possible while at the same time retaining as much paint as possible. The green/yellow is a candy color painted over a silver base coat. In the areas that are mostly rusty-looking, the color is barely there. In the OA bath, I came close to removing all of the color! I essentially did what you suggested except that I used a scouring pad which was probably more aggressive than the 2000 grit. This is about as good as I can hope for. As far as clear coating it, I have already rubbed in a coat of boiled linseed oil (shown in the picture above).

And without a doubt, fresh paint is the answer! I probably could've media blasted, primed, and painted the frame in the same amount of time that I have spent to this point. But. That's a rabbit hole that I am not going down! As good as the chrome parts look at this point (compared to one month ago), they would look horrible paired with a new shiny paint job and the snowball would grow exponentially!

This bike is deserving of a concourse restoration like you do, but not at this time. Who knows? Maybe next year for MBBO13. :happy:

... That's a rabbit hole that I am not going down!
I know that rabbit hole well. I freely dive down it often. And the one time I didn't, it was difficult for me, because all I saw were the flaw in the paint. But the owner wanted to keep it original, so I did the best I could with it. Luckily it was in a lot better shape than Sid, but Sid is so much better than it was it's mind blowing!

I had a hard call to make on how to approach cleaning up the chain guard and I rolled the dice. In the end, I decided to place it face down in the OA bath and closely monitor the progress. However, after the first half hour, I took it out to check things and quickly realized that the graphics were breaking down faster than the rust. So as gently as possible I rinsed it clean of the acid, dried it, and set it aside while I finished the other parts.

100_8056.JPG

Hindsight now tells me that it would have been better to have preserved the graphics at all costs, but that option was gone. So to salvage what I could, I masked off the area and locked in what was left with clear paint. I wasn't sure if that would even work either because the decal was so deteriorated that it would literally rub off just by touching it. The clear did seal what was left but there was a good bit lost. 😞

IMG_6135.JPG

After it was safe to handle it again I worked on removing as much of the rust as I could from the surrounding chrome and backside with Navel Jelly. Afterwards, the whole thing got a rub with linseed oil and sadly that's as far as I could take it.

IMG_6169.JPG

IMG_6170.JPG

The chain guard is a big part of the personality of these bikes so I would be lying if I didn't admit my disappointment in the result. I'm hoping that when all of the parts are reunited it will at least blend into the whole picture and will not stand out too much.😞

Back