Silent Blue Fellow

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ncherguy said:
They are just regular cruiser longhorn/halfmoon style handlbars with a support bar in the middle. A friend gave them too me because the chrome was mostly gone.

Must just be the angle of the photo.

Ok so I decided to go with my Red tycoon knockoffs but the bright blue idea may have to go. Bright blue remind me of a soft color for a girls bike. I may be going with a dark gloss grey instead (battleship). With the look of the bike the way it is going it will look real tough with a darker color and the bright red tires. I still plan to add red pinstripes here and there to give it that antique motorbike look. May change the name too.

also figured out how to attatch the bars. I got 2 little kids bike quil stems from a project I scrapped years ago. They barely fit in the tripple tree tubing. I think you may know where I am going with this. I will cut the clamps off and weld the stems to the handlebars. It will limit the angle of the bars but I should be able to adjust the height. Its warming up in Salem Oregon so I will do some attic picking later in the day. Also I need some front fenders to modify. I got an old rear fender and I will steel a rear fender of an old Western Flyer to use for the front. With the collection of parts on hand, this project has cost me $00.00 so far. I almost bought new tires and a new set of fenders but I 'm keeping it on a Ratrod budget!

Peatbog said:
ncherguy said:
My favorite stripper. Shes a little nasty but she does the job.

I use the same stripper.

Is this the stripper that you guys share??

peeps.jpg

So I found 2 almost identical quil stems and cut the clamp in half. This will give make it cleaner look and give more weld area for a good bond rather than what I originally was going to do (cut the clamp part altogether). here are some before and after photos. I started out by positioning the 2 stems in the tripple tree tubes, then positioned the fork on a chair while the handlebars were cradled in the stems and leaning against a table. Creative jigging gotta love it.

Before
IMG_3908.jpg

Finishing up some welds
IMG_3909.jpg

after
IMG_3911.jpg

ncherguy said:
also shows some good photos of how messy and small my shop is.

Tank saw mine today. Yours is immaculate. :D

Love the work that you are putting into this. Looking sharp and well engineered.

kingfish254 said:
ncherguy said:
also shows some good photos of how messy and small my shop is.

Tank saw mine today. Yours is immaculate. :D

Love the work that you are putting into this. Looking sharp and well engineered.

Gee thanks, Sometimes good creativity comes from a lack of money.

As builds go sometimes, they move in the path they want to go rather than where you originally wanted to take it. I'm going to scrap the front fender idea and just go with a rear and keep the build simple so I can focus on the finer details and....August is coming up.

Its been in the 80's and 90's around here so I started painting parts.
IMG_3972.jpg

Here is the tank and rear fender. I was going with a front fender but want to keep it looking simple.
IMG_3975.jpg

Masked the wheel for painting.
IMG_3974.jpg

Scallop masking. Its so clean as it is, but I plan on outlining the edges with red paint (pin stripping)
IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

Nice dart work!

so I started practicing my Pinstripe pattern for the forks, took a break then a wind gust lifted up the carboard my full can of 1-shot bright red was sitting on and emptied it onto my back patio table. I salveged about a half can of paint but now I have red fingernails. Nothing like washing my hands with acetone.

Pinstruped my frame, fork, and chainring. Not superawsome at pinstriping and some of my lines are a little shakey but its done by hand with a brush, no tape-cheating here. I used a scroll brush until my pinstripe brush is reformed.

my back patio studio
IMG_4067.jpg

had to start over a couple times to get this right
IMG_4068.jpg

may do the top part of the fork over, my lines started to get a little shakey towards the end
IMG_4072.jpg

This was totally free hand. Flat peices are easy for me, sometimes the hardest part in striping is getting my hands in a good position
IMG_4069.jpg

Razor blade and a screwdriver...looks like a murder scene
IMG_4070.jpg

Going to go visit the ol' folks this afternoon and salvage some parts from the barn for the bike. I have a pre-war columbia that has a skiptooth chain with my name on it and some headset parts off of a Wally-world cruiser. My folks have an old barn where most of my craigslist finds end of going for storage. My dad encourages my hoarding because old bikes look cool siting in an old barn next to the tractors.

Chainwheel is looking good!!

So the clock is ticking and I still don't have a saddle picked out yet. Was going to make one but not sure.

So I had a few design changes. I took some Fat Franks off of a motorized bike build instead of the red tires I was going to use. Looks alot better. I screwed up the paint on the tank and not sure what to do but I will figure it out.
IMG_4146.jpg

IMG_4147.jpg

heres a closeup on my scratch built tripple tree fork. I have always wanted to try this idea of using quiled stems as "Motorcycle-like" risers. without some kind of clamp attatched to the top to section of the tripple I get a little play.
IMG_4148.jpg

My junk saddle box. Which one will take the most work?
IMG_4150.jpg

Back