simi finished my new stretch 4/13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I picked up the new tank I had built for my latest stretch. Since its 6'' longer than normal I had to have a tank that fit my frame. A guy that I deal with built it for me and I am really pleased with how it turned out. I had seen an old bike at the swap meet last weekend and it had a tank like this ,so I figured if someone made a straight sided tank then I could too,plus my friend kinda looked at me funny when I suggested that he put some round sides with some lines in it. :lol: :lol:

tank5.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank1.jpg

Ok it wasnt my best paint job. Maybe because it wasnt black. Should look ok built.

DSCF0010.jpg

DSCF0011.jpg

DSCF0013.jpg

Re: Had Tank built for my new stretch

Wow...looks really great!

All that's missing now is the engine. :shock:

Rollin Double Sixes said:
That looks awesome! Looks like it fits perfectly. Do you know how thick the sheet metal he used to build the tank is?
Ok appearantly you don't know me. :lol: Like everything I build ,or have built its heavy duty. 1/8 thick steel sheet where he could weld it all around. Actually it will hold liquid if it had a neck . Lets see where did i put that 125 Honda motor. :lol:

Uncle Stretch said:
Rollin Double Sixes said:
That looks awesome! Looks like it fits perfectly. Do you know how thick the sheet metal he used to build the tank is?
Ok appearantly you don't know me. :lol: Like everything I build ,or have built its heavy duty. 1/8 thick steel sheet where he could weld it all around. Actually it will hold liquid if it had a neck . Lets see where did i put that 125 Honda motor. :lol:

Nope I don't know you but I like the cut of your jib. Do you have plans for a motor in this build? Either way it's going to look sweet when your done.

Nope I don't know you but I like the cut of your jib. Do you have plans for a motor in this build? Either way it's going to look sweet when your done.
Just kidding, They should have called me Uncle Overkill since my frames are made from schedule 40 pipe. It wont have a motor ,but the tank idea sure messed up my color scheme. Thanks for the appreciation. :D

where did you get those pretty forks?

I like the tank too.

chimichanga said:
How much was it to build the tank? If you don't mind me asking
He will build them for $60 pretty much any style . You just do a cardboard cut out of your exact size hole , and then come up with how wide you want it. I picked 1 1/2 since my top tube was 1''. The one i saw stuck out a little on both sides. I think it was a pre war elgin. It only had a top bar with a straight sided tank underneath it. Looked cool

cman said:
where did you get those pretty forks?

I like the tank too.
I took them off of a resale bike. A mercury brand that i think came from Germany. I was going to put them on the stretch I did for my brother. He wanted purple. I painted it and it came out terrible. The paint was a candy but the spray nozzle sprayed in spurts and it made it darker in spots. Would have been a fantastic paint job...really shinny but blotchy. So i painted it black and let him use his own forks. Never got around to repainting them. I'm really pleased with the tank. :lol:

hmmmmmm........... :mrgreen:
now i know anyone that can make their own bike can make a metal box!!
try it..its easy to do and theyre kinda fun after awhile

sensor said:
hmmmmmm........... :mrgreen:
now i know anyone that can make their own bike can make a metal box!!
try it..its easy to do and theyre kinda fun after awhile
Yeah yeah yeah, I really dont even want to make my own bike. I would much rather sit on the couch and watch westerns, then every so often walk outside all clean and see how the progress is coming on my new design. The only problem is I'm poor. :lol: :lol:

Re: Had Tank built for my new stretch ( paint pictures 4-12)

That looks WICKED! Might have to have one made for VeraLynn! May I ask how you mounted it on? Can't tell by the pics...... :? :? :?
L8 EM

Re: Had Tank built for my new stretch ( paint pictures 4-12)

TheDuke said:
That looks WICKED! Might have to have one made for VeraLynn! May I ask how you mounted it on? Can't tell by the pics...... :? :? :?
L8 EM
I kinda cheated . I took a piece of 1'' tubing about 2 1/2'' long and cut about a third out of it and welded it to the front. kinda like a trough. then i made a little strap for the back to wrap around the seatpost out of some 1/4 wide alum. The part in the front fits tight against the back of the neck and the strap holds it in the back. Once again I'm left wondering what significance there is to Vera Lynn . Another secret handshake thing??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back