skateboard bike, updated photos 10-12-08

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this frame is almost done being stripped down to metal for paint, it'll be high gloss black. the shock fork came off a different bike and will also be sanded and painted high gloss black. i took the rubber covers off the shock fork cuz they were tore and now im liking the way they look better w/out the rubber thingys. its a full 20" dyno bmx frame with v-brake bosses on the rear, the front will use caliper brakes. the rear rack came off and old schwinn and needed a bit of convincing to fit here, it will also be painted high gloss black and will carry skate/long boards, or whatever else one would need. the black mags came off a mongoose bmx i bought in my early twenties, the date written on the inside says 1994. i have the sprocket for it but i still need bars, pedals, and a chain. im tempted to put a pair of beach-cruiser bars on it that i have but i dont think it would be all that practical to ride if i did, we'll see. it'll be single speed so i doubt ill keep it in the end, but it'll be a welcome addition to my growing portfolio! any suggestions are of course welcome as always, you guys always think of stuff i didnt so please, put your two cents here!

skateboardbike13.jpg

skateboardbike23.jpg

Re: skateboard bike

y'know, i dont have any pics of me skating, ill have to get some to go w/ the bike i guess. the etop of that seat post sits about as high as my knee and im only 5 foot 7 w/ shoes on, its very low. ill prolly put a relatively high seat post and some monkey bars on it, it'll prolly end up havin a muscle bike look to it kinda, but i like the idea of moto bars too, maybe a higher stem with low profile bars... we'll see. next nice weather day ill finish stripping the frame and get some paint on it. im thinking i might try to push my painting skills just a tad too, we'll see. if i dont try i wont learn y'know?
fast eddie outty

been a while since i had a minute for bikes, i spent ALOT of time today getting the paint/rust off this frame, its primed but i dont think ill paint it until i have the other peices ready for paint. im feelin kinda 'iffy' about the rack, it'd be nice to be able to carry things with it, but as always my mind changes several times about several things from begining to end of any build! still alot of work to do, but getting the frame ready for primer is the most time consuming. these pics were taken from 2 different sides of the bike, but they look different cuz of the shade from one angle and not from the other.
fast eddie outty

skateboardbike5.jpg

skateboardbike6.jpg

I think the rack is cool! And if your going to sell it, UNIQUEness won't hurt.

i got some black on it, i might have put more paint on it than i should have for the first spray, but at least i didnt get any drips. i was gonna do some metallic fade from the front to back on the head/top/down tubes but im thinking i might just paint the forks metallic and leave the rest black, my mind changes so much from beginning to end of a build! a black frame like this seems like a really good canvas for some pinstriping, i dont stripe but i know some cats that do! i still have alot of work to do on this project, but thats half the fun!
fast eddie outty
skateboardbike83.jpg

skateboardbike73.jpg

Re: skateboard bike, updated photos 5-11-08

You've inspired me! I like the bike so much that I want to do several similar versions........Here in the Northeast, I think that there is a "niche" for that type of bike. I'm having trouble locating similar rear racks, just may have to design and fabricate them. Thanks Eddie

kota i hope ya have fun with it! using full 20" frames (20 inches from inside of seat tube to inside of head tube - most bms frames are 18") is a good solid foundation. i think its like the 'new school muscle bike.' i prefer having v-brakes on at least the rear for good stopping power, i like shock forks for comfort, high bent seat tubes for riding comfort, a soft sprun seat, monkee bars for cool looks, and if possible a multi speed gearing. the rack will also help to make it practical and give me a cool place to mount some reflectors too. check out the 'frantic lowrider' i did for the rr kids bike bo, thats what i like to do w/ those small frames. make sure to post pics when your done!
fast eddie outty

KOTA said:
I'm having trouble locating similar rear racks, just may have to design and fabricate them. Thanks Eddie

The rear rack is from a spaceliner or other sears bike, I see them on ebay quite often, you might want to check there.

i had to repaint and clear this frame cuz i messed up, oops! i got the fork sanded and primed too, ill probably paint some bars too match the fork but i dont have any bars yet. i have had alot of home repair projects and ive taken on a few projects that i put ahead of some of these 'backburner' projects. this is gonna cool when it's done!
fast eddie outty
skateboardbike93.jpg

I wondered what happened to this bike. Good to see it's getting finished!

eddie! the bike looks sick bro and youve definately inspired me to build one of my own. you and all your good ideas!! thanks for the inspiration man! ill share pics when i get it mocked up.

Easy E

eddie

when you gonna post some new pics man? im dying to see more. i started building mine the other day and its coming together quite well. i was wondering what kind of bars you were gonna put on there. i just got me a fresh set of 3ft apes that im thinkin would look pretty wild. please update us all on this bike man!!

now a days i take my time on the paint, ive screwed up too many projects rushing the paint. ill wait till this coming weekend to paint the fork, then let it sit for a week, rub it down the give it a second coat, let it sit a week, rub it down, the clear coat it, let it sit a week then clear again. then assembly. i havent decided on stem and bars yet, but i usually lean toward monkee bars on these lil bikes. i have pedals, and i think ive decided on the chain ring but if i use the one im thinking of it will need some work, and the rack bars will too. im gonna cut my own wood peice to replace the flat metal part of the rack...more work!!! but it'll be worh it in the end. the bikes seem to be taking longer and longer to complete every time i do a new one!!!
fast eddie outty

Back